Chapter 19

-2 weeks later-
-end of April-
~Skylar's POV~
It's been 2 weeks since Daniel and I have last saw each other. It's honestly been a little hard. Daniel and I love each other so much. But I know this is for the best. My friends at work have been asking how things have been going with Daniel, and I always just change the subject. Everything is healed now from that whole thing from the other night now.

I woke up at 7am.
I have a shift starting at 9.
I got myself ready. I straightened my hair, did my makeup, and got dressed in ripped jeans and a black crop top. I put on my vans and grabbed my sunglasses. I went into the kitchen and grabbed a pre made smoothie from the fridge and got my lunch that I made the day before and put it in my purse.

Before I left, I saw some messages pop up on my phone. It was Daniel.
"Hey, I know you've been avoiding me these past two weeks, but I need to talk to you about something." The text wrote. For the past two weeks, he's been trying to get me to see him again. But I just keep ignoring the messages.

I grabbed my car keys and went down to my car. I drove to the coffee shop. I drank my smoothie on the way there. Once I got there, I went inside. I put on my apron and put my stuff away in the employee break room.

I saw Emily there.
"Hey, thank god you're here..." She told me.
"I mean.. I was scheduled for today... where is everyone else?" I asked, noticing we were the only ones there.

"We're the only ones here today. On a Monday. The busiest day of the week." She sighed.
I looked at her in disbelief.
"You're joking..." I groaned.
She shook her head.
"You called Melinda? She can't call someone else to come in to help?" I asked.

She nodded her head.
"I tried calling her twice. She didn't pick up." She said.
"My god..." I rubbed my face.

We both sat there for a second. We have 20 minutes till we open.
"Ok... since we both know I'm faster.... And the morning rush is busier, I'll make the drinks and food. You tackle the register. Then we'll switch at the lunch rush." I said.

She nodded her head.
"Ok yea.. after the morning rush, I'll see if I can make some calls to see if anyone can come in." She said.
We made sure everything was set before we opened.
It only took about 5 minutes before it got insanely busy.

I was making drinks, food, and calling out names at the same time.
"Large iced coffee and everything bagel with cream cheese for James? Small matcha for Kylie? 4 large Caramel lattes and 2 breakfast sandwiches for Griffin?" It was insane. I don't think I've ever worked this fast in my life.

After about 2 hours, the morning rush finally slowed down and we had basically no one. It was now almost noon. Emily and I were cleaning down some tables.
"I think I'm gonna go and make some calls now. Are you good if I just go to the break room for 5 minutes?" She asked me.

"Yea I should be. I'll call out to you if anything." I said.
She left to make some calls. I stayed out, cleaning and making sure if anyone was going to come in.

Emily came back after 10 minutes.
"Alright, I got Henry, Myles, and Olivia to come in. They should be coming soon." She said.
"What? Really?" I asked her.
"Yea, I texted them and they all said that they'll come in." She said.

-3 hours later-
Now that Henry, Myles, and Olivia were here, Emily and I were able to have a break. We were eating lunch in the break room. The lunch rush just ended.
"You told me that you graduate next year right? How were you able to do that?" Emily asked me.

"I doubled up on my classes last year. So now I graduate a whole year early." I explained.
"Do you know what you're doing after you graduate?" She asked me.
"Yea I-" I started to say, but then Olivia came in.

"Hey Sky. Daniel's here and is asking for you." She told me.
"Oh, he hasn't been here in a while. Are things ok with you two? Every-time we ask about him, you always changed the subject." Emily asked me.

I didn't really say much.
"Sky? What do you want me to say to him?" Olivia asked me.
"Um.. just tell him I'm not working today."  I said.
"He knows that you're working today though, I already told him..." she said.

"Then.. just tell him you thought that I was working today, but you mistakened me for someone else." I said.
She just agreed and went back out.
"What's going on with you and Daniel?" Em asked me.

I looked at her and sighed.
"We kinda broke up 2 weeks ago.." I said. She stopped and froze. She was shocked.
"What? What happened?" She asked me.

"Well-" I started to say, but Olivia came back in.
"Hey, he isn't leaving and insisting on seeing you. He knows you're here.." Olivia said.
"Call the cops on him. This guy ain't leaving." Myles came in.

"He IS a cop... just tell him I'm not here." I said.
"So what exactly happened? Did he do something?" Emily asked me.
"I don't care if this guy's a cop. I have a bat in my car. I can go-" Myles was saying, but I stopped him.

"What? No, you're not going to hit my ex boyfriend, who again, IS A COP, with a bat and go to jail yourself." I told him.
Him and Olivia went back out again.

"So..." Em said.
I looked at her.
"I realized that it isn't safe to date a cop..." I vaguely said.
"What? But you loved him? What made you change your mind all of a sudden?" She asked me.

I hesitated to say anything at first. Then I explained the whole thing to her. When I was finished, she didn't say anything, except she just had her jaw open.
"Oh.. my god.. Sky..." she finally said.

"That's why... I decided that it was probably best to not date him anymore. I don't need a repeat of when I was 17." I said. She already knows everything that happened from that time.
"But Skylar... you love him. You always told me that. You told me that he was the love of your life and you could actually see you with him forever." She told me.

I rubbed my face. I knew what she was saying was true. I love him. I still do. But this is for the best. I hope.
"I know.. I know I said that... just..." I said, but then Myles came back in.

"Yo Sky, he ain't leaving... what do you want us to do?" He told me.
Then my phone alarm went off. My break was over.
"I'll um... I'll deal with him. My break's over anyway." I said, getting up.

I went out to the floor and saw Daniel at the pick up side of the counter. I ignored him and went over to the register.
"Hi Miss, what can I get you?" I asked the lady in line.
"Can I just get a small Iced Coffee with 3 sugars and whipped cream?" She asked me.

"Alright, and is that all for the order?" I said.
"Yes." She said. Then Daniel came over.
"Hey, listen I wanna talk to you." He told me.
"Kinda busy over here." I told him, coldly. Basically ignoring him.

"Can I have an name for that order?" I asked the lady.
"Yes, Olive." She said.
"Ok. Your total is $3.75." I said.
She paid and I started to make her drink.
"Skylar I need to talk with you." Daniel told me.

"I've already told you I'm busy." I told him.
He stood there, with an annoyed, but also concerned look. Like he was anxious.
I kept on working and he was still there 15 minutes later.
I had enough of him just being there. I was getting anxious myself. I looked at him and sighed.

"Hey Em, can you cover for me?" I asked her, taking my apron off.
"Yea sure, what's wrong?" She asked me.
"I'm just gonna see what he wants.. I shouldn't be more than 5 minutes." I told her.

I turned back around to look at Daniel and motioned my head to meet me outside. I went out through the back and he went around through the front. We went at the side of the building in the alley.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻