Chapter 17

-Next Morning-
~Skylar's POV~
I woke up in a daze. I rubbed my face and felt all the bruises. I could feel my lip a bit swollen and the cut where it got split open.

I turned on my side and winced in pain when I rolled on my arm.
"Ah, god..." I winced.
I laid in bed for only about 5 more minutes before I heard my alarm go off.

I turned it off. I have work today.
I know I can't work today. I don't want to work today. I just wanna be alone.

I got up and went to the bathroom.
I took off all the bandages and bandaids to see what all the damage was.
A chunk of my upper right arm was skinned, and same with a piece of my forearm.

My wrist was all bruised and it hurt to move, but I knew it was just sprained, maybe it was fractured.
My lip was cut up and a chunk of skin was missing on my right temple. I looked at my leg. It was just bruised and sore, but nothing else.

I disinfected all the wounds. I put on new gauze, bandages, and bandaids. Then I called Melinda, my boss.
Melinda: hello?
Skylar: hey Melinda, it's Skylar.. so I won't be able to come into work today.

Melinda: we're short staffed today. Are you sure you can't come in? Even for just a little bit?
Skylar: I'm sorry but I really can't. Maybe you can call Emily, or Oliver, maybe Kayla?
Melinda: ok, ok I'll call a filler.

I hung up the phone and put it on the counter.
I sighed and rubbed my face.
I didn't have any classes today either, which was good.
But there is one thing that I have to do soon.

I have to break up with Daniel. Last night was a wake up call that this is just way too risky. Being with a cop is way too risky. I'm not sure how he'll react, but I don't know when exactly I want to do it. I think today I just need to have a breather and just not worry about anything but myself.

I went into the kitchen and looked around in the cupboards to try and find something to eat. But I just didn't feel hungry. My whole body just feels out of it and exhausted since yesterday.

Then my phone started ringing, it was Daniel.
I silenced the ringer and put the phone face down on the counter.
Then my notifications started going off. It was Daniel texting me

Daniel: hey baby.
Daniel: I just wanted to check up on you to see how you're doing.
Daniel: I feel really bad about last night.
Daniel: Just please give me a call when you can. Let me know if everything's alright.

I looked at his messages and smiled just seeing his name. But that smiled quickly faded when I remembered what I have to do. I didn't respond to his messages and put my phone back on the counter.

I looked through the fridge and pantry and just didn't want to eat. But right before I walked away, I heard a little voice in my head.
"Don't go down that road again. You have to eat something." I heard. It was Cam's voice.

I sort of laughed and put my hand on my head.
"Great.. I'm going crazy.." I said.
Then I heard it again.
"No you're not. Listen to me. You have to eat. You can't go down that road again." I heard him say.

I brushed it off and grabbed the bottle of Advil. I took 3 out and stared at the bottle. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder.
"Don't do it. Remember what you promised." I heard his voice again.

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and just took the 3 pills.
When I opened my eyes, I saw Cameron there, clear as day.
I jumped back and didn't know what do to.

"Remember our promise..." he said, then he just vanished.
"I'm going crazy... what else is new?" I sort of laughed to myself.
I rubbed my face, confused and too tired to think.
"I'll just door-dash something.." I whispered under my breath.

I sat on the couch and looked through the different places. I got a coffee from Starbucks and a McGriddle from McDonald's. After that I looked at the messages Daniel sent me again. I looked at them and contemplated texting him.

I love him, but this is too risky. Being with him has proven to be too dangerous. What happened last night won't be the last time something like this is gonna happen. I know it.

I laid on the couch, scrolling through my phone before I felt myself get so tired and I eventually passed out.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻