Chapter 51: Retreating back

🎵 Mere chainon sukoon teri raah
Tu rooh ki khwabgaah hai🎵

Agastya being home this noon, was like a blue moon to his wife

Agastya being home this noon, was like a blue moon to his wife. Occupied with his work, he wasn't even coming home for dinners. Just to spend a few minutes with him, his wife went towards his room. Disappointment washed her features. His sister was inside, talking to him. Turning the balls of her feet, she thought go back. Her heart begged to wait and hear his voice. She stayed. Lean fingers pulled the cream silk curtain, closer to herself. Just in case if someone crossed the corridor, overlook her overhearing the conversation between the siblings.

"I don't hate her, beta." Butterflies erupted in her stomach. She heard his voice after two days. Breakfasts were the events when they could meet. Yesterday he skipped it. Today, she reached after the dining hall after he left. Thus, she ended up missing the only chances she gets to meet him. Perhaps, she could meet him, once he was back home after work. She didn't try again after a night he had an outburst on her due to his sour mood and tiredness.

"You do, bhai. You hate her." Cheeks puffed up. Eyes rolled. She let out an annoyed sigh. Her sister in law spoke. She was disappointed in her own self, when she found herself hating on child. Someone ten-eleven year younger to her. Yet she could not help herself. Every time she saw Roshni stuck around Agastya like a leech, she immensely disliked it. Hate was a huge word.  Perhaps she didn't hate Roshni. Maybe what she hated was the siblings bond, or the absent bond between her husband and herself.

"I don't hate her." Brows narrowed, who were they talking about? Excited about being able to hear Agastya's voice. Annoyed, on hearing Roshni. She couldn't get the context of the conversation the siblings were having."Yeah, actually, you know what, I hate her. I hate that lady."

Hate? Lady?

What women are they talking about?

Which lady is he hating on?

Eyebrows furrowed, nose crunched. Niharika though deeply, who the sibling were talking about.

Their stepmom?

She nodded. They were talking about Damini. Eyes rolled yet again. Roshni provoked him to accept- he hated their step mother.

"Eavesdropping, aren't we?" Hand raced to her racing heart. Taking her eyes at source of voice, her husband stood, smirk present on his face, hands dipped in pockets of pants.

"I wasn't eavesdropping-" Left her unheard, long strides he reached the staircase and soon was out of her sight.

"Niharika, he didn't mean it that way."

Niharika turned her face towards her sister in law. What is she clarifying for? She shrugged, maybe for his remark.

"He doesn't hate you." Roshni added before she could say a word.