Chapter 20: Reception

🎵Jashn e Bahara🎵 (Jodha Akbar)

"Morning bhai." I greeted him as he came inside the dining room, in his five piece black suit, with shiny black formal shoes, he sat on the head chair.

A house-help got seven-eight newspapers, in English and Hindi languages, she handed all of them to him, who choose two of them, and returned the rest to her. "Morning beta." He gave me a curt nod and sipped on his - no sugared- black coffee.

Our cousins entered after a while, none of us expect Dhruv Bhaiya and bhai were ready. We were still in our nightdresses. As we chomped on our breakfast, consisted of different cuisines, our aunts and step mother appeared from the sunroom beside the foyer, and rest of the family was still sitting there. "Where is Niharika?" Riddhi Chachi looked around the place and asked.

"She might be sleeping." Deepalna whispered, only for us to hear that. But even her muted tone was so loud, that everyone heard her.

"Yeah, yesterday night, she wouldn't have slept, no?" Manish smirked, making us crack up. And me landing in to an eye contact with bhai, who held a serious, no nonsense expression, which turned into a intimidating and a glaring one, when I gave him a mischievous smile.

"Quit it, everyone." Dhruv Bhaiya austerity chimed in the laughters, quitting down the teasings.

"There she is." Taiji gleamed and pointed at the newly wedded bride, all decked up heavily in red and gold jewellery. She gave everyone a deep smile and headed straight to bhai, she bent down in front of him and touched his feet.

Okay! Wow.

"What are you doing, get away from my feet." Bhai stood up and backed off a step. His face screaming, 'what just happened?'.

"Bless you wife, baba." Kaki, our house help who works in Shimla, spoke up from kitchen, "dulhan sahiba, is asking for your blessings."

Bhai heard her patiently, kept the newspaper down, "don't ever do it again." He sternly instructed her, picking up his phone and the coffee mug, he headed out of their.

It's rude bhai, at least be polite to her.

"Don't mind him. He must be disturbed with work stuff. You sit and have tea." Avantika chachi patted Niharika's back and led her to a chair. Pouring some tea for her in a white cup, she asked "what you want to eat?"

Niharika gave a sad smile to her and picked a raisin and chocochip cookie from the tray of cookies, "this is fine, thanks."

We quietly were eating the stuffs off our plates, when deepalna asked, "how was the night?" Her voice was softened this time and her eyes set on the bride, whose face would now resemble an apple.

She shook her head, "No, nothing like that-"

"Yeah, tell bhabhi, don't shy away." Ahana cut her and excitedly clapped her hands.