64. counting down

Song of the chapter is
Nightmare by Halsey

-64-
-Siya Malhotra-
-Present-

-64--Siya Malhotra--Present-

_____________

St. Maud Theatre
22 December, 2030
1:13 am

None of us moved an inch, afraid we'd trigger something that we would never be able to undo.

As Veronica stared at Zayn, her eyes filled with determination and the gun aimed straight at him, several thoughts escaped my mind.

"Ronnie, where did you get a gun?" Himanshu asked, immediately standing up.

"Oh my god! She must be with the killer!" Dhrashti accused in a heartbeat. "That would explain so much!

"No, Dhrashti-"

"Look, ever since the reunion, I've been pretty fucking patient with you." Veronica explained calmly. Dhrashti subdued under gaze. "But if you don't keep quiet and let me do what I'm trying to do, then we're gonna have some serious issues."

That was enough to shut her up.

"I'll tell you later where I got the gun." She said, looking at the rest of us. "Right now, let me deal with him."

Saying that, she shared a glance with Kartik, who nodded a second later in understanding.

What was she trying to do?

"Why don't you tell us, Zayn?" She said, her voice laced in confidence. "I'm sure you know who the killer is, already."

"What?! No, I don't-" He started protesting but was stopped by my husband.

"Stop lying." He said, as he took a step towards him. My heart hammered in my chest as I reached out to grab his hand, preventing him from getting any closer to Zayn.

"You know damn well what she's talking about."

"No, I fucking don't!" Zayn retorted, his eyes glistening with fear. "Why are you behaving like this, Veronica? You know me-"

"Do I?" Veronica questioned, tilting her head. "Because the last time I checked you were stalking my friends and killed your own girlfriend."

Zayn's eyes shut for a moment before he looked back up. "For the last time, I did not kill Shefali. I loved her goddamnit!"

"Still doesn't explain why you were stalking my wife!" My husband bellowed.

Zayn's eyes moved to him and then onto me and he paused in his place. I shivered under his gaze.

"Look.... I can explain, alright?" He said with a defeatist attitude. "Will you stop aiming the gun at me?"

"Start talking and I'll decide whether the gun will stay aimed or not." Came Veronica's curt reply.