56. best man

Song of the chapter is
Sweet Marie by The Walters

-56-
-Kartik Malhotra-
-Present-

-56--Kartik Malhotra--Present-

__________

Arora Residence
12 December, 2030
4:56 pm

"No."

The party popper in Zoya's hand was a second away from exploding. As Veronica uttered her answer, the rest of us, who were hiding behind the tree, suddenly stopped in our tracks.

No?

"Did we hear that right?" Saina asked in a whisper.

"You all heard no, right?" Zoya turned towards me. Siya and I nodded in unison.

"What the fuc-"

"No?" Himanshu's feeble voice made its way to us next. The rest of us stood still, awaiting Veronica's explanation.

Veronica scoffed, laughing slightly. "Moose....you can't be serious-"

"I hundred percent am, Ronnie."

"What the fuck is going on?" Zoya whispered shouted again.

"We'd be able to hear if you stop shouting in our ears, Zizi." I responded back. She scowled and turned away.

"But Moose...." Veronica began, a hesitation laced in her voice. "You aren't thinking straight, okay? Marriage is a huge responsibility. I can't just let you take a decision based on your fear of losing me-"

"Ronnie-"

"No, Moose." She interjected, putting her hand on his arm. "Listen to me. I love you. You know I do. And there's no truth in this world that would ever change that."

She paused before continuing, "I know that you're scared of what's about to come next. Frankly, we all are. And it has made you overthink about things and I get it, I understand. But I can't let you take such a huge decision in a hurry, just because the situation seems to call for it."

Himanshu opened his mouth to retort when he was interrupted again.

"I am not going anywhere, Moose. I promise." She crouched closer to him. "Once all of this is over, you'll have time to think clearly. Whatever decision you want to take, you can take it then. Right now is not the right time."

"Ronnie," Himanshu finally began, looking diligently at her. "I've thought about this, okay? This is not just a rash decision I'm making, alright? I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. What is so wrong with that?"

"There's nothing wrong with your intentions, Moose." She said. "Infact, I'm so glad that you even thought about...this. But it's just not-"

"What? What is it not?"