35. remembrance

Song of the chapter is
J's Lullaby by Delaney Bailey

-34-
-Zoya Afreen-
-Present-

-34--Zoya Afreen--Present-

____________

Daffodil Hospital
24 November, 2030
10:45 pm

As the panic slowly settled into my senses, I felt a strong pang in my heart.

My hands shook in their place at the thoughts that were running a marathon in my head.

Was I about to loose another friend?

Throughout the drive to the hospital, flashbacks appeared and disappeared from in front of my eyes like reels of a film ; flashbacks of that awful night of December 2019.

The night I lost my best friend.

My man-child.

Ahaan.

His name embedded a pain in my chest, that had made its home in me for the past eleven years. I had lived with that guilt and it had grown on me like an old oak tree. Every night whenever I would close my eyes, his face would float up in front of my eyes and he would repeat those three words, again and again.

You. Weren't. There.

I wasn't..... I wasn't there when he needed me the most. He needed me. He had called me, out of everyone else, because he had believed that I could've helped him. I could've helped him. I could've fucking helped him.

Why wasn't I there?

As a kid, my mother would often tell me how the good often die young because god wants all the good saplings in heaven.

Guess that was true.

But when a person dies, he leaves behind so many people , standing at his grave, trying to figure out how they'll live the rest of their lives without that person.

I didn't want to figure out my life without another friend. I truly didn't.

While it was true that Saina and I had started off on the wrong foot, over the course of those four months, we had grown closer to each other and she had managed to become one of my closest confidants.

In the last few years, she was the only one in the group whom I had a touch with.

I guess you could call us "friends".

Our mutual hatred towards Alishka and being bonded by trauma had made us who were today. And I didn't want to ever lose that.

Ever.

I sighed as I looked out the window. The blinding lights of the myriad of cars on the road caused me to close my eyes on impact. I breathed in a shaky breath.