15. back to square one

Song of the chapter is Still Here by Digital Daggers

-15-
-Kartik Malhotra-
-Present-

-15--Kartik Malhotra--Present-

______________

Delmore High
14 November, 2030
9:34 pm

Sirens filled the air and red , blue, white lights surrounded the entire place.

Yet again.

The detectives took charge and secured the area, taking the rest of the crowd that was still in the school to the playground for safety, along with securing the entire stage with caution tapes. Forensic experts were busy collecting evidence and clicking pictures of the deceased.

As we all sat on the far end of the bleachers, none of us spoke a word. The fear of the unknown had once again managed to make us all numb and speechless.

As Siya huddled closer to me, I softly grazed her hand with mine. There wasn't any kind of comfort I could provide her with right now.

Once again, I was left feeling helpless.

"I'm.... having a diabolical sense of deja vu." Zoya was the first to speak. She hugged her knees closer to her chest, her face having an unnatural pallor to it.

"This isn't supposed to happen again." Saina's voice ached with distress. "Why is it happening again?"

Nobody had an answer to her question.

"There's never a logical reason behind this, Saina." I replied, looking at her and then at the others. "Whoever this is...is not normal. They never are."

"But why after all these years?" My wife spoke, her voice strained and defeated.

A minute passed before Veronica, who had her head hung low all this time, looked up.

"Kartik....." She began, a terrified look surpassing her features. "What's the date.... today?"

My brows knitted.

"November 14th." I uttered, dubiously. "Why?"

Her face lost the remaining of it's pallor.

"Veronica....what?"

She visibly gulped, her breathing becoming heavier by the second.

"It's the day.....they....the police....found her body."

It took me less than a millisecond to realise what she was saying. And as soon as the realisation hit me, I felt like throwing up.