41. backstabber biatch

Song of the chapter is
Forever by Jessica Sutta

-40-
-Zoya Afreen-
-Present-

-40--Zoya Afreen--Present-

____________

Delmore Local Area
27 November, 2030
7:30 pm

The supermarket door whooshed as I stepped inside.

The chilling temperature due to the centralised AC was in stark contrast to the humid air outside. I adjusted my baseball cap and grabbed a trolley from the nearby aisle.

Pushing it forward, I scanned through the shelves of snacks, picking one or two to check the prices. Since we were all freeloading off of Kartik's house supplies for the past few days, I felt that the least I could do was some food shopping for the rest.

Throwing in a few of the snacks in my trolley's basket, I walked to the next aisle when my eyes suddenly fell on a familiar figure standing by the fruit aisle.

I cocked my head to the side, focusing my attention to the back of his head.

A minute later, turning quarterly, half of his face came into view and surely, I was spot on.

It was young officer Ravi.

Well, not so young officer Ravi now.

A smile blossomed on my lips as I strode towards his direction. His gaze was trained on the peach in his hand, his eyebrows furrowed.

"That peach does look like a butt."

He turned towards me in a swift, his face surprised. Then a moment later, a familiar expression graced his features.

"Zoya..."

"Hi." I smiled like a schoolgirl. "Fancy running into you here. Are you here to collect food for the wife and kid at home?"

He chuckled softly, but his smile didn't meet his eyes. "Unfortunately no,.... it's just me I'm providing for at the moment."

"Aw, bummer."

"Yeah..." He trailed off, his smile lessening further. "So what brings you here?"

"Same as you. Except I have five kids at home to provide for." I answered. He nodded slowly, looking away. I could sense something was bothering him, so I went ahead and asked,

"Are you alright?"

He looked back at me. "Yeah....why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know, let's see, your hair is all dishevelled which means it was a rough day, your eyes look like they've seen....things and your smile is missing." I noted. "So to sum it up, I think I can say that you are bullshitting me."