43. snow on the beach

Song of the chapter is
Maybe by Joe Layne

-42-
-Himanshu Arora-
-Present-

-42--Himanshu Arora--Present-

___________

Malhotra Mansion
1 December, 2030
4:00 pm

As I stood in front of the once ominously entrancing Malhotra Mansion, a shaky breath left my lips.

The lack lusture of the place had a gluttoned vibe to itself. The white potted plants that were placed neatly near the doorstep were in stark contrast to the overall obsidian undertone of the place.

As I was busy noticing the nitty-gritty of the building, suddenly the door opened wide and she stepped out and paused.

In the warm glow of the winter sun, her skin flushed a shade of crimson. The golden hour had casted it's effervescent shadow upon her face as she had stepped out. Her hair was tied in a bun, a pair of black reading glasses perched atop the bridge of her nose. There was slight flour on her hair strands and face. An apron hung loose from her shoulder around her long full-sleeved flannel shirt.

And despite her tousled state, my heart still skipped several beats as my eyes met her.

Almost like I had never grown up.

We stood there for what felt like an eternity before she let out a cough, indicating the same, breaking us out of that trance. I ran my hands through my hair awkwardly as I struggled to speak words, coherent ones.

I hated that she had this effect on me.

"Uhm...." I opened my mouth. "I... didn't know....you wore glasses." To speak utter nonsense.

Small talk? Seriously?

She touched the hinge of her glasses consciously and gave me a tight lipped smile.

"Yeah, new habit, I guess."

I wondered what else was new with her? Had she changed in all of these years? Or was she the same the raven haired girl that I had lost my heart to in the fierce battle of love?

She felt familiar to me. But that could also easily be a big hoax that my mind had decided to play with me, making me believe in a fable.

After all, in all these years, if I had learnt one thing, it was that I was almost always wrong about things, when it came to her.

"Uhm..come in." She opened the door wide and moved aside.

As I stepped into the house, the air changed its pace. It was no longer cold and unwelcoming. Instead, the aroma of freshly baked food filled my senses to it's brim. I almost smiled in response.

"Is someone baking?"

"Himanshuuuuuuuu!!!! Come taste these!" Zoya shouted atop her voice from the kitchen.