11. almost is never enough

Song of the chapter is
Still Into You by Paramore

-11-
-Zoya Afreen-
-Present-

-11--Zoya Afreen--Present-

_______________

Calangute Street
12 November, 2030
3:35 am

"Okay, it's been ten minutes since we've come back from Savaryn's and you still haven't come up with a dare."

I complained as I shifted in the backseat of Kartik's big black car. V and I exchanged a look as we watched the married couple exchange a few looks themselves.

Siya had completed her dare quite unwillingly, in front of five drunken guys --- a rendition of Taylor Swift's 'You Belong With Me' --- chosen auspiciously by her own husband and while it wasn't exactly a grammy -worthy performance, it was enough to make these grown men cheer for our pretty princess.

Everything was perfectly happy tonight.

However, earlier when we we parked in front of Downtown Liquors, I had heard Siya expressing some silent concern to Kartik, but hadn't thought much of it. Personally, I was more interested in watching a bored V make shapes in the shadows with her hands.

But now, it seemed like whatever they were concerned about, was becoming an issue.

"Siya, is everything alright?" Veronica voiced my concern.

A flustered look appeared in Siya's face as she brushed strands of her hair aside and looked back at us. "Yeah..."

"Well, then do you want to continue the game or....?" I trailed.

"Yes...yeah, ofcourse." Siya managed to smile. "Uh... I'm just trying to come up with something really good for you."

I smirked. "Nothing your girl can't do."

"Can I give her her dare?" Kartik chimed in. "I wanna wipe that smug look off her face so bad!"

Veronica chuckled beside me while I flipped him the bird.

"No, because I think I might...just have the perfect dare for her." Kartik explained to his wife, to which Siya was starting to oblige.

"No, no. You've had your chance, Malhotra." I retorted. "Now, it's Siya's chance."

"Oh I'm sure Siya wouldn't mind giving her beloved husband this opportunity." Kartik lamented. "Won't you, darling?"

"Nuh-uh, not happening." I widened my eyes at Siya.

Siya's gaze moved from her husband to me then back to her husband again.

"Sorry, Kartik. This one's mine."

I chuckled as I watched Kartik pout like a kid.

"Okay Zoya, do you see that guy over there?" Siya asked, pointing outside. I followed her line of sight and found a guy dressed in full police uniform, smoking by his police car. He had his back to us so I couldn't see the guy's face.