58. life of the party

Beginne am Anfang

"Zoya, this is..." Moose began.

"A lot." I finished.

"Oh come on! Like I said, it's not like you're gonna get married every year." Zoya reasoned.

"But still..." I tilted my head at her. "You've outdone yourself."

"All the more reasons for you guys to name your child after me."

Laughter ricocheted and bounced off the walls of the diner. The evening wind reverberated with a mix of happiness and content.

"Okay, my gift next!" Saina announced. She picked up her gift from underneath one of the booths and handed it over to Moose. As he unwrapped the box, two Cartier watches came into sight.

"These are beautiful." Moose said as he handed me one. I grazed my fingers over the dial before wearing it on my wrist.

"Thank you, Saina."

"There's a note as well! But you guys can read it later." Saina said.

"Hey, what's with the secrecy?" Zoya complained.

"It's meant for the two of them." Saina retorted back. "You should really stop being a nosy bitch."

Zoya gaped at her dramatically.

"Okay okay, before they get into a cat fight again, let's end the gifting process." Kartik announced before Zoya could say a word. He pulled out a small gift box from his pocket and handed it to me. "Here you go guys. This one's from me and Siya."

"How come you two get to give one gift?" Zoya enquired.

"Well, when you're married, technically two souls unite to become one and hence-"

"Okay okay, forget I asked!" Zoya immediately interjected, making Kartik laugh.

I gingerly opened the lid to the gift box and what was inside surprised me.

A beige-brown hand-painted name plate, with the words 'Moose & Ronnie' printed across laid inside. I slowly pulled it up and held it with both hands.

"For when you guys buy your own home." Kartik said, smiling as he exchanged a look with Siya.

I looked over at Moose and just like me, his eyes were glistening too.

"This is truly....the best." I said, looking back at Kartik. "Thanks, guys."

Siya came over and engulfed me in a hug, seeing how overwhelmed I was. As we parted, she looked at both Moose and I with earnest eyes and smiled wide.

"I'm really happy for you guys."

Once all the gifts had been unwrapped and Zoya had finished demolishing the diner's counter top with her high heels as she danced merrily to some Taylor Swift, I took a minute to step aside and watch the rest from afar.

Perhaps for the first time in life, had I ever felt so happy.

Happiness as an emotion had always been very alien to me. Ever since I was a kid, all I had ever experienced was sorrow and anger. All my life, I had always expected that I'd forever feel numb and miserable, considering the things I've been through. Never had I ever thought that I'd be able to overcome it all and emerge out of that dark tunnel.