45. agony and ecstasy

Start from the beginning

Himanshu leaned forward, his voice tinged with urgency. "Ronnie's right. We can't just wait around, hoping that this nightmare will end. We need to gather all the information we have, think logically, and work together."

As their words sank in, a glimmer of hope flickered within me. Maybe, just maybe, we could find a way out of this dark abyss.

"I have something to confess." I said, looking at the rest and then at my wife, who stood in one lone corner of the room. "Actually, we do."

Siya gave me a worried look as she took a step towards me. I nodded, reassuring her that it was the right thing to do.

I took a deep breath as I looked around the room, the gang assembled before me, their faces filled with anticipation. This was it—the moment I had been waiting for. I cleared my throat and began, my voice steady but tinged with excitement.

"Siya and I.....we um..." I began, my eyes flickering from one member to another. They leaned in closer, their curiosity piqued.

Siya, stood beside me, her support evident in her encouraging smile. I drew strength from her presence as I continued, "Three years ago, we were involved in a hit and run case."

Gasps echoed through the room, and I could see the skepticism and surprise etched on their faces. Zoya crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. "What? What do you mean?"

I took a deep breath, steadying myself before delving into the details. As the story of that fateful night unfolded in front of my friends, I could sense the discomfort growing by the minute. Siya's head hung in shame as she stood, silently weeping beside me. I squeezed her hand softly as I finished and then looked at the rest.

"I know it wasn't our best moment, but.....we really are sorry for what we did." I said, as a sort of a justification for our deeds. But God knew, there was no actual sentence we could utter that would wash our sins away. "I did what I had to do to protect Siya. Even if that meant...... destroying someone else's life."

An uncomfortable silence followed as a result. The clock's ticking was the only sound that could be heard for the longest time before Veronica interrupted it.

"But..why are you telling us all of this now?"

I looked at her for a moment before speaking, "There are some things that I found out about the case....from a close friend a few days ago. And somehow.... it's all.... linking to Detective Gomez."

"Detective Gomez?" Saina asked. "What does he have to do with your case?"

I took a deep breath before explaining, "Yesterday, when Detective Gomez took Veronica for questioning, I noticed his erratic behavior. It was almost like.....he was trying to pin everything on Veronica. At the time, I didn't think much of it, considering it's his second nature to play gotcha over nothing.....but later on, when I thought about it more.....it just.....seemed suspicious to me."

Himanshu gave me a quizzical look. "Okay....but all of this still doesn't hold any connection to your case."

I nodded, "You're right, Himanshu. It doesn't. But something else does."

The rest looked at me with anticipation.

"A few days ago....Siya started having nightmares regarding the whole incident because the killer sent us a text....indicating that he knew about the cover up. I knew I had to do something.....so I dug around little regarding the victim and his current status and found out that the only person who's been visiting him went by the initials D.G."