43. snow on the beach

Comenzar desde el principio

"Zoya, those aren't done yet." Veronica yelled as she half ran-half walked her way to the kitchen. I followed suit a second later.

As I entered the kitchen, I was met with a pleasant scene. There were two batches of what seemed like cookie batter on two different trays on the island, while a third, freshly taken out of the oven, was now safely tucked in the hands of Ms. Zoya Afreen. There was flour everywhere my eyes could possibly go. Zoya's hands had a bunch as she excitedly chewed on one of the freshly taken out cookies. She then proceeded to extend the tray towards me.

"Take your pick."

With amusement in my face, I picked one of the chocolate chip ones that looked less deformed than the rest and took a bite.

To say I was tasting heaven would be an understatement indeed.

I closed my eyes, relinquishing every bit of the morsel that had just entered my mouth. As I opened them, I found Zoya flashing a big grin at me.

"How is it?" She asked excitedly.

"It tastes like heaven."

She flashed an even wider grin. "I knew it!"

I chuckled as I finished the last bit of my cookie. "Did you make these?"

"Ugh! I wish I was this talented. I would've probably made cookies for myself for every meal." She deadpanned, getting off the kitchen counter.

"That could give you diabetes." Saina commented from afar as she entered the kitchen.

"I'd happily die from eating these!" Zoya exclaimed dramatically, making the rest of us laugh.

"No, but seriously, who made these?"

She gave me a sheepish look before saying, "Who do you think?"

I narrowed my brow for a moment before I realised what she was hinting at. My eyes instantly travelled to her, as she stood at the end of the kitchen island, her gaze already on me.

I was at a loss for words.

"You made these?" I somehow asked.

She simply shrugged. "I learnt a thing or two while running my cafe."

"She gives herself so less credit." Zoya intervened in her defense and then turning to her, said, "Seriously, V, if I knew how to make little pieces of heaven like these, I would've never shut up about it."

"You never shut up anyway." Kartik commented, stealing one of the cookies from the tray. Zoya threw the apple next to her on the fruit basket at him as a response.

"Mmh! This taste so good." Kartik spoke, his words muffling as a result of the mouthful of food in his mouth. "Wow, Veronica!"

She simply smiled shyly. "Thanks."

It was at times like these that I wish I didn't have a heart.

Because it leapt at every minute thing, every little smile, every little look of hers.

"Come on, let's get the last two batches in the oven and we'll be done." She said as she fixed her apron and carried the two trays in her hands and put them in the oven.