32. flashing lights

Start from the beginning

"Well," she began, "considering, I just found the fully gutted body of a woman hanging from a church, I'd say I'm doing pretty well!"

A thin lipped smile graced his features as he rubbed her back.

"Although I might need alcohol very soon." She then added.

I gave her a weak smile. "You don't have to be strong in front of us, Zoya. I saw you at the church. You looked pale as a ghost. It's okay to feel scared about this, you know."

"I know, V. And I am scared. Shitless. But if I show it, that sicko will just think he won. And I really don't wanna give him that pleasure." She answered, putting her arm around my neck.

I sighed.

"Come on, let's get you guys out of here. Then we can talk about it." Himanshu said, escorting us out the station.

"Have you contacted the others?" I asked him.

"No, didn't get the chance. I'll call Kartik on the way." He answered, looking at me.

"Don't bother, I already have." Zoya butted in her head between the both of us. "Kartik and Siya will meet us at Paper Lantern in fifteen minutes."

My brows rose up and down. "Okay, good. What about Saina?"

"I tried calling her but she didn't pick up." Zoya replied.

"Let me try once,...wait..." Himanshu said, dialling on his phone. Moments elapsed before he said, "She isn't picking up."

I exchanged a worried glance with him.

"Well, maybe she's busy with her husband." Zoya said and we both looked at her questioningly. "What? Kartik told me her husband apparantly arrived today at the house."

"Gautam?" Himanshu asked to which Zoya merely nodded.

"Didn't she say she didn't want him to come to Delmore?" I asked.

Zoya nodded. "Maybe he surprised her."

As we got inside his car, Zoya asked, "Himanshu, how did you convince your fiance to let you come?"

He paused between adjusting his seatbelt and I saw a small flicker in his eyelids. A shiver passed down me when his gaze slowly moved and stopped on mine.

"Uh.... well....we sort of had an argument."

"Obvi." Zoya chimed from behind. "Did you finally tell her to fuck off?"

I instinctively looked away as he proceeded to respond, ".... I'd rather not answer that."

I bit the inside of my cheeks and buckled my seat belt. "We should go. It's getting late."

I watched as his gaze flickered and looked me up and down before looking forward. Starting the engine, he moved the vehicle out of the parallel parking and drove off.

The rest of the drive was quiet, thankfully.

But we were met with a not-so-pleasant surprise when we got to the Paper Lantern. As we neared the parking lot of the diner, several flashing lights and vehicles came into view, along with the herd of people flocking at the gates.

"What the hell-" Zoya muttered, as she sat up in her seat.

"What's happening?" Himanshu asked to no one in particular.

I furrowed my brows as I watched the crowd of what seemed like reporters, caught sight of our vehicle and flocked around it, even as it was moving. Some banged on the windows, while some others kept muttering incomprehensible questions. The cameras kept going click and flash, click and flash, click and flash...