Drabble - Heirloom [Jared Leto]

Jared chews his lip and watches you handle the item between your finger tips, a look of disgust on your face.

"Why... Err... I mean... It's... Eeehh..." You fumble your words and look visibly uncomfortable until Jared stands and, also using his fingers tips, takes it from you to put back in its box.

"Well it's an heirloom!" Your mother replies. "...she would have wanted you to have it."

You screw up your face "no... No she wouldn't. She shoved it away in the back of a cardboard box so it was never found.... I don't even think a thrift store would take it!"

"Don't be silly... It's not like it was made recently."

Jared grumbles "should never have been made in the first place...ivory looks better on the elephant and horse skin looks better on the horse." He sits beside you.

"Well you don't have to have it ~out on show. It's just to have." Your mother continues.

"What's the point in a family 'heirloom' if you hide it away so nobody knows about it. That's a dirty little secret. Not an heirloom..... You're supposed to be somewhat proud to show it off...."

"...well...."

"Welcome to my house... See the item made from bits of dead animals sitting on my shelf... Disgusting isn't it but apparently because it's an heirloom...." You fold your arms, upset your mother had even thought you would want it.

Jared puts the box lid over it and shivers.

"It's just...a thing to remember her by."

"I can remember her just fine without that bundle of death...just... Take it away. Keep it yourself if you feel so strongly about it just keep it out of normal view, please."

She huffs and rolls her eyes "fine...I'm sure I can find a spot in the livi-"

"No! Your bedroom. Only your bedroom. I don't want to be reminded of it every time I visit and if you had seen what they do to live elephants to get that ivory you wouldnt even want it!"

Jared wraps an arm around you and places his other hand on your knee while your mother stands to leave.

"I'll put it where I like..." She says defiantly "it's ~my house."

"If I see it... When I next visit... Regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me and how sick I feel.... I'll remove it and destroy it... So if you want to keep it.... Hide it." You raise an eyebrow and watch her nod.

"Very well. Take care..."

She leaves without another word and you let out a slow breath. "Euuwww!"

Jared nods and chuckles "You did good. Proud of you."

"Thank you. She seems to think it's all a fad and that I'll stop 'being silly'..." You roll your eyes. "Anyway... Coffee?"

Jared nods "coffee..."