#53 Sweet and Salt

Dhruva

Words that may not be fitting to begin an invigorating Sunday fly across the pages of his old journal. Dhruva lets his pen calmly scribble the thoughts and feelings of his heart.

Journalling — the last time he had done this was when he had been a fresher at his Engineering College. When he hadn't had any friends. When everybody in his class looked up on him as if he were some demon incarnation. He had stopped writing kavithai long ago so it's ironic that he would write one now. Well, technically these words here aren't rhythmic kavithai but free verses. Not bad, coming from someone who hasn't done it in ages.

A wry chuckle touches his lips as he looks at the words he has written.

He has denied the truth to himself and never used the phrase often, but he is irrevocably in love with Samridhi

How she looks — whether looking elegant in a saree or promenading the house as a sloppy teenager dressed in her PJs; everything she does, whether she's being stubborn, insisting he mustn't work out, or when she's being valiant in her pursuit to help the junior students of her old college, and even when she's stupid enough to let someone like Selva plant a spying device in their home.... he can only love her. All of her.

He sighs. His bedside clock reads 6:00 a.m., such an early riser he is unlike Ridhi.

Time to work out, but yes, like Ridhi mentioned the other day, he won't push her to work out.

He pushed her to exhaustion once and even caused her injury to version but not anymore.

One would call this gentlemanly but he is only being more.... Okay, maybe he is being gentlemanly?

Smiling, he hops down from his bed. After a little warm-up, he lowers himself to the floor to do some pushups. Master Riddhi forbade him but totally skipping workouts is gonna make his body rigid. This level of workout shouldn't be a problem.

He finishes his workout and freshens up. Dressed in his usual sporty tee and track pants, he plods down to the dining hall with the intention of serving himself a glass of juice, and maybe some green tea, passing by Samridhi's room, thinking how she must be still asleep at this hour.

Yes, sleepyheads don't rise early, so it greatly surprises him when he finds her in the dining hall, seated on one of the chairs next to the large table.

She looks tired and sleepy. He notices she's still in her PJs. Upon enquiry, she reveals she couldn't sleep a wink worried about Selva's spying.