#36 What to do with these feelings?

Sorry for the super delayed update. I was stuck on this chapter. The pacing, the dialogue, the scenes. I was constantly struggling but couldn't finish. I was not satisfied with how it came out.can't compromise with the quality and there's always the probability of my shitty, real-life barging in between so sometimes it's hard to come up with quick updates.

Thank you for understanding. I hope you all like this chapter! Well, some of the scenes in this chapter might reflect my ardent animal_lover_personality a little. Please read, vote and comment as always! Lots of love!

***

Akshara

The week she must do nothing but rest passed quickly. Although her boredom nearly drove her nuts, having a romance novel close by helped. And there was Shiva, who would often check on her and talk to her over their dinner, staying with her until she fell asleep.

Her foot is nearly healed now. She has started moving around the place a little, but she's alone again, with no one but the guards posted outside keeping an eye on her.

Shiva remains busy as ever, working on who knows what. He says he's working on his mission but all of his outings involve Samridhi which makes her a little jealous.

How can Samridhi Ganesan help him with his work and Akshara Nair can't?

The thought is a little depressing, but there's little Akshara can do about it. Shiva often shares an overview of the work he does at the end of the day, and she can only smile and listen to what he has to say. She can't complain, not when he's the same, sweet, fussy best friend around her.

 She can't complain, not when he's the same, sweet, fussy best friend around her

Her desperation once caused her to break down, but not anymore. She doesn't want to be jealous for no reason. And she can't wish for his presence next to him twenty-four-seven, knowing he's a soldier who always prioritises his duties towards the nation.

She can't act like a silly teenager every time and spoil the sweet, little time they get to spend together.

She shrugs it off, wiggling her toes and pacing her side of the lodgings after what feels like ages. No stinging pain in her foot. Such a great sign.

Sighing, she picks up her phone lying on the charpai.

Nine am. She has just received another message from Editor Saab, not a threat but a gentle reminder that she must return to work as soon as possible. That's right. Work is important! And work comes first for a journalist such as herself!

Akshara puts her phone away and heads to the bathroom to freshen up. The lodgings have one small cramped up bathroom which she and Shiva take turns to bathe, but mostly it's hers because Shiva is always out.

Today is no different. The water is always freezing here in the Himalayas. There's no running water in the near-dilapidated lodgings, but Shiva stocks up enough pails of water, and having the little immersion heater comes in handy. Akshara emerges from the small (but still very much spotless) bathroom after enjoying a nice, warm bath, a large, fluffy towel wrapped around herself.