#39 Our shared moments

Samridhi

The day after Dariwala's party night, she returns to the hospital, attending to her duties as usual. Her friend, Dr Neetu, and others are back at work which cuts her workload by leaps and bounds. And around noon, Dean considerately advises her to take the day off.

"Don't work too hard," he says, patting her shoulder once and commending her for all the jobs done well over the past week.

Samridhi is thrilled to receive the praise and appreciation. Humbly offering her superior her thanks, she steps out of the hospital, her oversized handbag slinging from her shoulder, her white doctor's coat neatly stuffed into one of its many compartments.

Finally here's a little time off from the hectic schedule. What must she do?

For a couple of minutes she lingers on the road in the hopes of catching an auto, but finding no such thing in her line of sight, she walks to the bus stop nearby, the gravel dislodged from the roads by the rains, now crunching under her feet.

Just as she pauses near the bus stop, a familiar car pulls up next to her. That car... Dhruva is here!

Without a second thought, Samridhi smiles and waves at him when his head pokes out of the car window. It's been a little awkward after their talk outside Dariwala's, but they live in the same house and so there is no avoiding each other. They both have been acting like normal like nothing has changed at all.

Now, nothing changed, did it?

"Preparing to go home so soon?" Dhruva asks, now shutting the car door and striding towards her.

Samridhi shrugs her shoulders. This is what they always do whenever they get into a big fight or argue about something. Pretend. Resort to casual chatting as if the awkwardness isn't the present at all.

"I got the rest of the day off. Dean sir was kind enough to offer one."

Dhruva frowns hearing her response. "You could have called me, Ridhi. Informed me. You know our rule. You agreed to it."

Samridhi sighs. The chilly wind threatens to cause her dupatta to fly. She clutches it tightly to herself, palm pressing into her shoulder. "Yeah, but you are really busy owing to the-"

Dhruva doesn't let her finish the sentence. "Doesn't matter. I can manage this much."

Normally, there'd be more. He'd lecture her but today he takes on the no-nonsense attitude and gestures to the car. "Get in..."

Samridhi sighs again. Dhruva still donning that sporty leather jacket could mean he's still playing the coach, but then he's always wearing such stuff. Sporty look does suit a man who's always active. Okay now, she mustn't stare too much.

Pressing her lips together she climbs into the passenger's seat of their family car, but then decides against it and scoots into the driver's seat.

"Huh?" Dhruva throws her a perplexed stare, to which Samridhi smiles and replies, "I can drive. Hop in."