#21 You want us to be friends?

Dhruva

The afternoon sun is never harsh, and the weather usually remains chilly here in the mountains. Today is no different. Inside the Ganesan mansion, the temperature is only a few degrees colder.

Dhruva is seated at the dining table, perched on his usual chair. On the outside, he may seem like his usual self, but he's having a lot on his mind.

A lot of strange stuff is going on these days, including the thing that happened right now.

Samridhi just left. He ran into her at the base of the stairs but didn't feel the urge to talk, or at least say hello. She, too, didn't utter a word, and they parted ways.

He didn't know where she went, didn't bother to ask, so it came as a surprise when Amma blurted out to him she went to meet Shiva at the Lake Park.

Did she go out with Shiva? Is this what they call a date?

Dhruva sighs, using his fingers to smooth the wrinkle between his brows. As a martial artist, he never cared for such terminology, but hearing the word and Ridhi's name in one sentence left a bitter taste in his mouth.

Amma is delighted with the turn of these events, though. She's all smiles, serving him lunch, talking animatedly, and he doesn't know how to react.

"Ah, I was rambling... What can I do? This is a good sign, you know? Ridhi was never into any of the marriage talks, and truth to be told, I never thought we'd find her such an amazing young man, Shiva..."

Amazing, huh? Dhruva tries to smile

Amazing, huh? Dhruva tries to smile. He must smile here, right? Amma brings a hand to her forehead.

"Oh no, I'm talking too much again. Go ahead... eat as much as you want, Dhruva..." says Amma, but Dhruva isn't hungry.

He feels a little strange but doesn't want to dwell deep. It's too dangerous to dwell deep, so all he can do is run. Run now... far away from all this.

"Sorry, Amma..." He tries to sound like his usual, directing his gaze at Amma. "I'm not hungry, and I just remembered I need to be somewhere right now... I should leave."

It's a flimsy excuse, but it's all he can come up with to escape the discomfort he's feeling in his chest.

"Dhruva... Enna idhi... At least finish your lunch..."

Amma's pleading voice threatens to melt his heart, but he turns and walks away, without looking back and without even whispering the words, see you later.

What exactly is the name of this discomfort? Perhaps he knows and perhaps he's trying hard to shoo it away.

Maybe he should hit the gym to clear his head.

***

3 pm. Not many students are at the gym.

Dhruva steps past the entrance, running into a cheerful Akku who greets him with a smile.