#46 The time is now

Shiva

Shiva looks at Akshara's sleeping form, lost in thoughts. So much happened. It's surreal she's here with him and he with her, and they are together. Her presence next in his life is invaluable, very much needed, whether he's a soldier fulfilling his duty or not. He mustn't blame her existence for his failures.

He recognises now, how stupid he'd been, but the moment of truth didn't come to him so easily. He'd given up on his love, given up chasing Akshara after she left, but here they are. Fate is tricky.

With a wry smile, he recalls the chain of events that propelled him to chase after Akshara and admit the feelings he holds for her

The following morning after his fallout with Akshara, he went to see Samridhi at her home. She'd become a friend now. Besides worrying about his mission, he almost felt worried about her, but he stubbornly convinced himself that wasn't the case.

He ran into a cheerful-looking Dhruva outside Samridhi's room, but unlike the other times, the mood between them wasn't awkward. Dhruva urged him to 'see' Samridhi, and he did. He had no idea the private conversation they would share would become an eye-opener for him.

Samridhi's fever was gone. She greeted him with a small smile when she saw him, but she wasn't free from her mental torment. One would expect the trauma evoked from the unexpected phone call could be the reason but that wasn't the case.

She was worried about the consequences that awaited her actions. Amma wouldn't forgive her if Dhruva walked away. More than this thought, her guilty conscience was nagging at her, her mind was devoid of peace.

"Maybe I should be the one to walk away, Shiva," she said, "this isn't the first time I thought this, but I'm the one who has a problem with things... So... What right do I have to make Dhruva walk away from our family?"

 What right do I have to make Dhruva walk away from our family?"

Shiva held his tongue. Part of him wanted to console Samridhi but he'd just hardened his heart. A soldier doesn't need love or friendship.

All human emotions are a hindrance. He repeated this in his mind, his only concern should be that phone call.