Chapter 4: Winky

Magsimula sa umpisa

Bagman soon got the idea that they were suspecting Winky. "No!" He said. "Winky? Conjure the Dark Mark? She wouldn't know how! She'd need a wand, for a start!"

"And she had one." Mr. Diggory said. "I found her holding one, Ludo. If it's all right with you, Mr. Crouch, I think we should hear what she's got to say for herself." Mr. Couch was silent, so Mr. Diggory took it as a yes. "Rennervate!"

Winky woke up, and slowly looked up to see Mr. Diggory, and burst into tears when she saw the Dark Mark. "Elf!" Mr. Diggory said sternly. "Do you know who I am? I'm a member of the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures!"

Her name's Winky. Raven thought.

Winky began rocking back and forth on the ground. "As you see, elf, the Dark Mark was conjured her a short while ago." Mr. Diggory said. "And you were discovered moments later, right beneath it! An explanation, if you please!"

"I-I-I is not doing it, sir!" Winky gasped. "I is not knowing how, sir!"

"You were found with a wand in your hand!" Mr. Diggory barked, holding it in front of her.

"Amos, easy!" Carlos said going up to them. "We're not going to get any answers with you constantly yelling at her."

"Hey-that's mine!" Harry said, pointing to the wand.

"Harry?" Carlos questioned.

"That's my wand!" Harry said. "I dropped it!"

"You dropped it?" Mr. Diggory questioned in disbelief. "Is this a confession? You threw it aside after you conjured the Mark?"

"Amos, think who you're talking to!" Carlos said angrily. "Is Harry Potter likely to conjure the Dark Mark?"

"Er-of course not." Mr. Diggory mumbled. "Sorry...carried away."

"I didn't drop it there, anyway." Harry said. "I missed it right after we got into the wood."

"So." Mr. Diggory said, his eyes hardening as he turned to look at Winky again. "You found this wand, eh, elf? And-" Carlos put his hand up to shush Mr. Diggory.

"Winky, dear." Carlos said softly, grabbing the wand from Mr. Diggory's hand. "Can you tell us what you know?"

"I is not doing magic with it, sir!" Winky squealed, tears still streaming from her eyes. Raven didn't like how scared she was, but he appreciated Mr. Snowspear being gentle with her compared to Mr. Diggory who was clearly mad. "I is...I is...I is just picking it up, sir! I is not making the Dark Mark, sir, I is not knowing how!"

"It wasn't her!" Hermione said nervously. "Winky's got a squeaky little voice, and the voice we heard doing the incantation was much deeper!" She looked to Harry, Ron, and then Raven for support. "It didn't sound anything like Winky, did it?"

"No." Harry said, shaking his head. "It definitely didn't sound like an elf."

"Yeah, it was a human voice." Ron said.

"It definitely sounded like a man." Raven said.

"Well, we'll soon see." Mr. Diggory growled, taking Harry's wand from Carlos's hand. "There's a simple way of discovering the last spell a wand performed, elf, did you know that?" Mr. Diggory used use own wand on Harry's, "Prior Incantato!"

A ghost of the Dark Mark appeared from Harry's wand. "Deletrius!" Mr. Diggory said, and the smoky skull vanished in a wisp of smoke. "So." He said looking at Winky.

"I is not doing it!" Winky squealed. "I is not, I is not, I is not knowing how! I is a good elf, I isn't using wands, I isn't knowing how!"

"You've been caught red-handed elf!" Mr. Diggory roared. "Caught-