Chapter 8

“What did she tell you?”Blythe went on without allowing me take a breather.

“Nothing I wouldn't expect. Just telling me to lay off her ‘property’ ”.

Our little talk was interrupted by Miss Judy who came in and began to ramble about Othello. But I hardly heard a word. Don't get me wrong, I loved novels but Shakespeare is just a different breed.

  I tried to stay focused but I couldn't. I also noticed the occasional glances Blythe gave to me. I couldn't laugh either. I was in a dilemma.

When the bell rang, I heaved a sigh of relief as Blythe came to my table.

“You were saying?..”She blurted.

I gave her a frown.

“But I told you what she said. What more do you want?”

“About you and Jacob duh. What really happened?” she said in a hushed tone.

“If you could follow me home..

“Deal!” she didn't even wait for me to finish.

When we got home, I was welcomed to a large polythene on the kitchen counter. I felt an instant surge of happiness pulse through my veins. Mum was back and she had gone grocery shopping.

  Ever since my parents divorce, she had been really struggling with her work trying to secure my future as she called it and as a result, I didn't always get to see her. The times she returned at night, I was asleep, and by morning, she was gone, always leaving me a note.

But now I could see a bag of groceries on the counter which could mean she was back early but stepped out.

“Gwen!” Blythe called jolting me out of my thoughts.

“What?”

“You've been staring at the counter. Relax! I know you're hungry”.

I laughed. We headed up to my bedroom where I just flunked my bag in a corner and took off my shoes. Blythe on the other hand was getting cozy on my sheets. I went to the bathroom where I pulled out my tampon and had my bath. The warm water soothed the cramps I was getting. Soon, I was out with a blue robe strapped to my chest. My wet hair making drops on the floor.

“How's the water?” Blythe asked.

“Warm”

“Ugh! I wish I brought extra clothes” she whined.

“It's fine. I have spare clothes you could use if you wanted to crash.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. Besides my mum's back, so tonight's dinner would be great”

“Okay. Okay. I'm won. I'll text my mum and let her know I'm sleeping over.”

  I was glad within me because tonight I wasn't going to be alone. I finally told her the full story about I and Jacob, adding a few white lies to make it more interesting which she fell for, thereafter we both fell asleep.
I woke up to the sound of water gushing from downstairs. Mum was back. I glanced at Blythe who was still sleeping soundly. How could she not hear the noise?

I headed downstairs. When I reached the last step, the water noise stopped. She must have turned off the tap. And I was right. I began hearing clinking sounds of utensils. Once I peeked into the kitchen, I saw my mother scooping Mac and cheese from the pot onto a plate. That was a sight I have always wanted to wake up to. I couldn't even remember the last time we had dinner or joked about men but here we are. It was finally going to happen.

“Mum!” I said so innocently trying my best to hide the excitement in my voice.

“My love!” she greeted me back.

I went over to her and hugged her tightly. I molded myself in her warm embrace which I had yearned for a long time. My mum was the exact replica of me, only much more prettier and older, and wiser. She was all those things I wanted to be. She had wrinkles on her face due to all the stress coming from all corners. The best feature which I personally loved of her were her little strands of grey hair. She was born with those actually.

I can recall a certain time when she teased that I was going to end up with those. I cried my eyes out that day. But when seeing how much she's gone through, having a few strands of grey wouldn't be so bad. She kissed my forehead and I nuzzled in her neck.

“I'm sorry I haven't been always there for you.” she said calmly.

“Don't be sorry. Let's.. let's just make this happen more often, okay?

She loosened her embrace and smiled.

“Mac and cheese?” she pushed the plate close to me and I began eating. She took a seat by me and ran a finger through my hair.

“Tell me all I've missed” she began. I was about to blab about how choking school had been when Blythe came down.

“There you are!” I looked everywhere.

“Oh mum. This is Blythe my best friend.”

“Hello ma'am” Blythe said almost in a courtesy. It made me laugh.

“Come dear. Have some Mac and cheese” she said moving over to hold her hand.

The night was fun. I talked about school, boring Othello, joked about Jacob and men in general to the excitement of Blythe and had some mango. I knew it would be an awfully long time we would sit like this again, so I had to make the most of it.