Chapter 12

An hour had passed and I still sat on my bed. I was torn between ditching the party or going to it. I didn't want Jacob there. Everytime, I made myself believe Dave wasn't going to hand him an invite but who was I kidding. They were friends. My phone beeped. It was Blythe.
You're not here yet.Should I come to yours?”
I flunked face down on the bed.

No I'll be there soon” I replied. I lazily picked myself up and headed to my closet. I picked out a dress and my go-to boots.
“I'm just gonna go there, stay a little while and be on my way” I told myself. After I got dressed, I took my phone and a demon jacket and was on my way. I got there soon enough and was welcomed by Blythe and the banging music.

“You almost made me come to yours" she said pulling my hand.

“I told you I was coming” I smiled as we moved in. My eyes don't know what to focus on as the door opens. I hadn't stayed long enough in a school to experience a teenage party so it was all to new for me. I take in the smell and my nose scrunches up at a combination of different smells. One I identified as Baked food, maybe cake and the other stunk like that of beer.

“C’mon. Let's see if we can find Doris” she continued pulling me through the crowd of horny teenagers. After what seemed to be like forever we made our way upstairs to Doris’ bedroom. We found her still strapped in her bathrobe.

“Oh my God! Thank God you guys are here she said hugging us both.

“Why are you not dressed?” I asked

“Look!” she raised a blue dressed with a massive tear at the front. It looked like it was caused by an iron.

“It was Dave. I simply begged him to help me iron it out and look what he did.”

“I'm sure it was an accident. Here. Let's see what else you can wear. It's your birthday after all.” Blythe opened the closet and began rummaging through clothes.

“Gwen, do you mind getting me water. I'm really thirsty.” Doris said. I nodded.

“me too” Blythe chipped in. I reluctantly nodded before I left the room. On the counter were several cups and drinks. I rolled my eyes. I looked around and checked the fridge. It was still filled with drinks. I sighed. By the parchment door, I found water. I opened it and sniffed it making sure it wasn't spiked. Once I was satisfied, I corked the bottle and closed the fridge. As I turned around, I met Jacob sipping punch.

“You were sniffing the bottle?” he had an amused look on his face.

“making sure it wasn't spiked” I answered. I moved to a cupboard nearby and got out three glasses.

“Drink is better than water” he said handing me his.

“No thanks!” I said pouring water into my glass.

“This is highschool, loosen up”

“Drinking doesn't necessarily make you feel superior. I mean, it's just alcohol right? And if I don't fancy it, it's not necessarily a crime” I proceeded to leave but he stopped me by my arm.

“I'm really sorry Gwen”. He had an apologetic look in his eyes.

“Try to be a little less cruel sometimes. It helps. You can't just go ahead and use someone's problem against them simply because you know what they're going through.” he stepped forward but I didn't budge.

“I don't have an edge over you” he whispered in my ear and went on to plant a kiss on my lips. I was stunned but before I could process, Doris and Blythe were down.

“What took you so long?” Doris asked. She freely pushed Jacob to the side.

“Had to make sure it wasn't spiked” was all I could say.

“I swear, if any girl gets spiked tonight, I'm gonna rip Dave apart!” she said marching to the party.

“C'mon. Let's get fruit punch”Blythe said pulling me out of the kitchen. All through the party, I couldn't stop thinking about the kiss. Why did he do that? Was he teasing me? Was it part of his sick games? But another part of me broke when I saw Penny grinding on him later on. I couldn't cry. I shouldn't. My mum's words. Instead I left to take a breather outside. I could punch him right now if I could. He awoke the feelings I tried so hard to suppress and now he does this. I clenched my fists and before I knew it, the rest of my actions were done on impulse.

I marched back inside and found him in a corner smoking. I pulled him on the arm back outside. Most people that looked at us were stunned, but I didn't care. He needed to give me an answer. Once the door was shut, I slapped him across the face. He looked stunned.

“Why did you kiss me?”
He cleared his throat. “Because..
Because I felt like. I stopped.

“I should have known you would never change. You think you could kiss me and go off to let Penny grind you?” I was raising my voice but I didn't care. The music was louder anyways.

“I'm sorry” he said.

“please stop saying sorry if you don't mean it. You're a mess. A psychopath. For Christ's sake, Penny is your girlfriend” he couldn't say anything.

“Say something!” I yelled hitting him.

“Penny's not my girlfriend” he said quietly. I scoffed.
“You even stand here and deny her too. Wait till she hears about this.” I turned to head for the door.

“We broke up a long time ago. Before you even came to the school” he said. I turned.

“Liar! Everyone knows you guys are dating.

“Everyone thinks that. He cut me off.

“Still. You didn't turn her away” I continued.

“The reason I brought your family up that day was because you called her a slut and I was really pissed because it was true. That was one of the reasons we broke up” he looked defeated. My breathing stopped.

“So why did you kiss me Jacob?” I asked calmly.

“Because you're all those things I'm not.”he spat. My insides grew warmer. Did he just compliment me?

“And because I think I like you” he continued. My eyes met his and he came closer. I knew I said I was going to home early but never did I expect to be kissed twice by Jacob.