Chapter 26

Blythe

I was in my dorm going through one of Nancy Drew's books when Gwen stormed in. High heels clicking. She didn't even close the door.

"You're back so soon. How was it?" I ask placing the book down and focusing on her. She pulled her heels and flung it around the room.

"Was he that bad?" she looked at me as she sighed.
"He was not the problem. He was actually kind enough to take me to the hospital when I felt dizzy"

"Oh my God!"
"So the dinner was actually interrupted" she continued.
"So are you better now?" I ask
"I'm pregnant!" she was lying flat on the bed.
"Are you sure?" it finally happened.
"Yes. She brought out a paper which I guessed to be the test results and handed it to me.
"Well... Have you called him to tell him about it?" I ask
"No. I wanted to tell you first" she pouted.

"Gwen. You have to tell him. He has to take responsibility of it."
"But I'm not willing to take responsibility of it either. This wasn't supposed to happen". I moved over to her and held her close.
"What's mum going to think about this?" it was my turn to sigh.
"I don't know. But we have to tell her eventually. But right now, you need to call him and tell him.

"Tomorrow"

"No. Right now." I watched as she brought out her phone and reluctantly dialled his number. After several tried, it finally connects. I made her out it on speaker.

"Hey babe!" he said

"Hey!" she said back.

"Whats up? How are you?"

"I'm good. And how's the job going?" I immediately pushed her to stop stalling.
"Look. I'm pregnant" she finally says. The line goes silent and I wonder if he hung up.

"You're pregnant? Are you sure?" he asks.
"Yes. Had the test today". He breathed
"But.."
"I'm not exactly thrilled about it either" Gwen snapped.
"You still have some months to your college graduation and my job just started kicking in.. he trailed off.

I and Gwen looked at each other.
"What are you saying? Are you saying I should get rid of it?" Gwen asks
"No.. no.. that is not what I'm saying. The whole thing's just all of a sudden and I'm still trying to process it" he says, his voice is shaky.

"Can you like come see me sometime, like soon. This isn't something to talk over the phone" he paused for a while.

"Okay"

___________________

"So I'm guessing the baby was Dianne?" Mary asks. Blythe nodded.
"Okay. But can I at least see Miss Lane?"
Blythe looked like she wanted to protest.
After all she said, Mary couldn't still listen.
"I'm not going to interview her. I just want to see her" she begged. She looked at Mary for sometime before she stood up. Mary followed behind her to a room.

She met Miss Lane on a rocking chair holding a blanket faced to the window.
"Gwen! There's some I'd like you to meet" Blythe said but Gwen did not budge. It's like she did even hear them come in.

Blythe walked towards her and rubbed her shoulder. She finally turned. Not fully, but she did.
"This is Mary Tisdale. And she's a friend of mine" Blythe said. Mary waved, a smile spread across on her face.

Gwen looked at her. She had puffy eyes, swollen from all the tears she must have let out. Then she turned back to face her window.