Chapter 4

~Dedicated to all those who hide their pain with a smile.~

"Candace hurry up, you'll be late for school" mum said from the kitchen.

"Oh yeah. I'm almost done. She replied.

She placed her plates on the counter and made her way for her bag not before giving mum a kiss. It was their routine.

Candace was beautiful. Some said she and Dianne were meant to be twins. She took after their mum with coffee-black hair, freckles which were her best asset and a smile when even though upset, seemed to never leave her face.

Candace and Dianne were her best gifts.

"Hope your sister won't miss you too much?" mum asked

A look formed on Candace's face..

"Don't tell me you guys are still not speaking to each other"

"I already said I was sorry. What else could she want from me"

"Its okay. Mum sighed.." you know Dianne is changing, well you both are. You guys are blossoming in your teen years and as a result of that, you both may not reason the way you did in the past. I know you didn't mean to say what you said but you should also understand that it's normal for her to feel that way. "

Without her finishing her sentences, Candace already had her arms wrapped around her neck.

"So you go ahead today, I'll check on D and she'll join you by tomorrow"

"Thanks mum. Love you. Candace said and before she left, scribbled something and placed on the table.

...............................

Ms Lane was the ideal mum. The fun loving mum. The mum every child would wish for. Hard-working, persistent, a go-getter. Even after the divorce which threatened to tear her family apart, she somehow found a way to keep it going.

Her friends suggested she tried dating again but she couldn't. Not that she didn't want to, but she cared more about her girls' opinions than anyone else's.

"D! Mum called softly before opening the door. She found Dianne looking at the photo album.

"Hey baby, whatcha got there?"

"Just the album. I was bored"D answered paying little attention to mum.

Mum took a sit close to the desk and watched her daughter.

"Mum, why doesn't dad come visiting anymore?"

Mum's heart broke at this question. She had always feared that one of them was gonna raise it up someday.

"Dad is a busy man darling. Work kinda choked him up. But i admit. It was wrong of him not to call"

"Does he not love us anymore?" D asked innocently

"No... No. Don't say that. Daddy loves both you and Candace equally. Remember you both are my sunshines. Daddy loves you both. And I promise you, he would call soon. "

"okay mummy." D said embracing her mum.

"Speaking of Candace,I learnt she apologized to you about yesterday"

"Yeah... D let out a little laugh. I've forgiven her. She's my sister, and I have no right to stay too mad at her."

Mum only smiled." you should have seen her face. She was so worried you hadn't forgiven her. I think she scribbled a note down for you and placed it on the table"

Mum and D stayed up talking till noon, before they headed down for lunch. Meanwhile, she had a lot of things to say to their "daddy".