Chapter Thirty-Eight

February 11th 2023 -New York City - The Sinclair Brownstone

We sat at the breakfast table together again, my parents carrying the conversation as I was still adjusting to being awake and having to communicate with other human beings this early. Mary-K was eating more today, I was glad that the shock from the previous events were already starting to melt away for her.

My Papi was talking to me and I was nodding away before he changed the subject as a thought popped into his head. "Did you get that dental work done, Blue? I never saw the charge on my credit card." I pulled a face having no clue what he was talking about. I haven't been to the dentist in forever, not to get work done anyway. "James said you had a toothache a few weeks back. I've been waiting for the bill." I froze remembering I told Jazz I had toothache to explain the slight swelling to my jaw and she must have given that explanation to her dad. I didn't think they'd talk to my dad about my dental hygiene. "Blue?" When he questioned me again I realised I had been quiet too long and couldn't explain why my brain was seemingly buffering over a dental charge. "I didn't end up going," I say. My papi adjusted himself in his seat. I knew what that meant. That meant he didn't believe me and he was about to interrogate me. I didn't change anything about myself, not my facial expression, my body language or my actions to make it seem like I wasn't aware I was lying.

My parents could read me easily. Most people close to me could, only because I let them. I didn't let my parents read me at all, they created me and they knew every last detail about me, lying to them was a mission in itself and I had gotten out of practice of it due to no longer covering for Sage. "Why not?" He asked me, I could practically hear him cocking his eyebrow at me. "It went away on its own, and didn't want to waste time." "You surely went to get a check-up after." "Couldn't get time off, I was busy at work." I realised how dumb that lie was considering my boss was sat right next to me and I take monday mornings off to sit and have a chat with her. "Oh really?" Yep, I just blew it. "Considering your boss is sitting in our house I don't believe she wouldn't give you time off for a medical appointment. Or have I sussed you out all wrong Mary-Kate?" I mentally cringed at him addressing Mary-Kate. She was the worst liar I have ever met. Considering she was an actress she couldn't lie, not even white lies. She stumbles over her words and avoids eye contact and she mumbles when she does manage to piece a sentence together. "We have been busy recently." Which wasn't a lie. "And you wouldn't give her an hour off work for a cavity." "I didn't ask," I interrupted, any more questions in Mary-Kate's direction would completely sink this lie. Not that the lie was above water right now anyway.

I looked up at my dad and pulled together my best innocent face. He had a harsh look on his face telling me he didn't want to play any games. "What happened to your jaw, Sofia?" Oh, first name... This isn't good. Mami kept quiet letting this play out in front of her. Well no point lying, I needed to be smart, tell the truth just not the whole truth... "I banged it." "Where?" "Sage's room." "On?" "Shelf." "Which one?" "The low one above his desk." "When?" "Few weeks back." "When?" "Morning before work." "Why didn't you tell Jazz that?" "Didn't want her to worry." And he had caught me. His quick fire questions although I was answering I wasn't thinking of the repercussions of my answers. "Why would Jazz worry about you banging your face on a shelf?" "Because I didn't bang it," I admitted looking down in my bowl, swirling the milk around with my spoon. "So what happened Sofia?" He asked expectantly. I sighed. I couldn't tell my dad what really happened. That would tarnish their relationship with Sage. It would ruin everything, Sage would have no one left on his team and I couldn't watch him sink further into his addiction, there would be no sober days, there would be no cleaning up for our parents sake. It would be him and his drugs and illegal activities all day every day. I wasn't ready for that. I didn't want my parents to lose another son and I didn't want to lose my brother. "I got into a fight," I say quietly, playing them. Make them think I'm ashamed of it, they'll believe me then right? "With who?" "Someone." "Sofia Blue Sinclair," He warned. I didn't answer him. "Sofia..." Nothing.