Chapter Thirty

MARY-KATE'S POV

October 17th 2022 - New York City - Studio 22

I thought living and working with someone all day everyday would be hell. But it hasn't. It's actually been really nice, Blue and I aren't together all day at work because she's been working on Ashley and I's Cannes outfits most of the time. It's been her only task for the past few days if I'm being honest. Ashley didn't want to take advantage of her work ethic and pile a bunch of stuff on her. We both know she could handle it but it wouldn't be fair when we have a team of interns that can do the same jobs as Blue. No, they don't get them done as efficiently as Blue might but they still get it done. I think because we've not been around each other all day at work it isn't as overwhelming, we have breaks from each other. And she's been staying later than I have, claiming she can't concentrate on her work when the interns keep coming in and out bugging her so I go home alone.

Typically walking into my apartment I felt lonely, knowing I wasn't going to see anyone else for the rest of the evening, I would be eating alone, unwinding alone, going to bed alone and not talking to anyone until I arrived at work in the morning. But going home early now was completely different. I knew Blue would be home in a few hours. I knew I'd be eating dinner with someone and having light heart conversation instead of nursing a glass of wine. I knew I'd hear, "Goodnight, Sleep well", from down the hall. I knew I'd hear all about her day and have someone to tell mine too. I didn't feel the need to live at work. Most importantly I had someone there to distract me when the urges hit or the bad thoughts interrupted my focus. I could easily go find her in the apartment and sit with her and talk, I didn't have to stay at work super late to avoid my own mind. I was happy to leave, to start making dinner for me and Blue. I made a point of cooking for her, she skips meals like it's her side hustle. I swear I only see her eating if she comes to lunch or dinner with me. She practically lives off air. She'll complain because she feels like she's not helping out enough and she should make dinner because I'm letting her stay with me but I dismiss her, typically by putting a spoonful of what I'm cooking in her mouth.

Today I hung back to give her a ride home, the weather took a turn for the worse and Blue didn't have a heavy enough coat with her to protect her from the chilling breeze or the rain. I was sitting in Studio 3 with her, she was busy pinning fabric together on a dummy and I was sitting observing her with my laptop in front of me. She gets so engrossed in the process she hasn't even noticed I moved in here over an hour ago, or if she had noticed she couldn't pull herself away from her work long enough to acknowledge me. She's just been sewing, pinning and cutting constructing the pieces that will make up our outfits.

Honestly I was relieved when she offered me these designs, I wasn't too thriller with the custom sketches Ashley and I had been offered, they were way too formal for us to wear as guests at the film festival, all eyes should be on Lizzie it's her film not ours and I like how Blue understood that and come up with more muted designs that fit the dress code. I was surprised at first that she even showed me one of her designs, she's very secretive of her designs, her sketchbook is sacred and no one can touch it, never mind look in it. I don't get why she doesn't show me her work more often, she's got talent and her ability to nail a dress code is like no other.

"Are you ready to head out soon?" I asked, she jumped at my voice, causing me to chuckle. "I didn't know you were here," She said, folding a piece of scrap fabric. "I came in a while ago, didn't want to disturb you," I told her. "Sorry." "No, you're all good. I've been answering emails." That was a lie. I've had my emails open but have only read as far as the first sentence of the first one because I was too busy admiring her work. "Let me clean up and then I'm good to go." I nodded and closed my laptop, I wasn't going to get much work done in the time it would take her to clean her station.