Chapter 21

It's the day before Lucas' birthday and Hailey and him were both laying in his room watching tv before his mom came in the room. Hailey was asleep with his head on his chest so his mom talked quiet.

  "Hey do you want to celebrate your birthday today or do you want to celebrate it tomorrow at the party at Hailey's house?" His mom asked him.

  "We can do it tomorrow. I don't think Hails is feeling very well today. She had a headache when she woke up this morning and she has been sleeping since then." He told her.

  "Do you know how she is doing now?"

  "No I have been letting her sleep because I know when she was in the hospital and she was not feeling well the doctor said it's best for her to rest."

  "Yeah that is best. Feel her forehead and tell me if she is warm to you or not. Her mom told me to check that if she is over here and she says she is not feeling well." Lucas felt her head and she didn't feel warm to her.

  "No she does not feel warm. She did get sick this morning when she woke up though but she has not gotten sick since then."

  "Okay that is good. Let's let her sleep a little longer then wake her up to see how she is feeling. If she is feeling bad tomorrow her mom may not want to do the party."

  "Yeah. I am kinda worried about Hailey though mom."

  "Why are you worried about her?"

  "Because I can tell that something has been bugging her lately but she won't tell me what. When she was having to stay in the hospital she was so sick and I felt like I could not do anything to help her."

  "I know you did. The best thing you can do for her right now is be there for her like you are." She told him as Hailey started to stir.

  "Lucas tells me that you were not feeling well this morning how are you doing Hailey." His mom asks her.

  "I feel better. My headache is still there but not as bad as this morning and I don't feel sick anymore." She told her.

  "Okay. Would you like something to eat?"

  "Yeah I am a little hungry."

  "Okay. I will go make you two some lunch. I will bring up something for your headache when I bring up your lunch alright." She said walking to the door.

  After she left Lucas restarted the movie that they were watching because Hailey had slept through most of it. They watched half of it before Lucas' mom came back in with food and some medicine for Hailey. They ate the food then they both decided to go downstairs. They found his mom sitting on the couch watching a movie.

  "Hey would you two like to watch a Christmas movie with me. The elf is on right now." His mom told them.

  "Yeah I like that movie." Hailey said.

  They sat down and started watching the movie. About halfway through it there was a knock on the door. Lucas went to answer it and Niall and Lauren were standing there.

  "Hey what are you two doing here?" Lucas asked them.

  "We wanted to come hang out with you because today is the last day you are going to be sixteen." Lauren said.

  "Well come on in. Hailey and my mom are in the living room watching Elf. You two can join us if you want." He told them. They went into the living room to continue the movie. When Lu as sat down on the couch Hailey curled into his side and fell asleep on his shoulder.

  "Is he asleep again?" His mom asked him after the movie ended.

  "Yeah I am going to go lay him in my bed." She tells her picking Hailey up. She is a lot lighter than he thought she would be.

  He laid her in his bed and covered her in the blanket. He kissed her forehead before he went back downstairs to where his mom was sitting on the couch with Lauren. Niall is probably in the kitchen eating all of the food.

  "Are you hungry. I can go make you something to eat." He asked his mom and Lauren.

  "No I am good but Niall said he was hungry and ran into the kitchen right after you took Hailey to your room." His mom said.

  He walked in the kitchen to find Niall digging through the pantry. He saw that he had left the fridge door open. Lucas shook his head at him and went to close it.

  "Hey I was going to get something out of there." Niall said.

  "Oh really because I stood there for ten minutes waiting for you to go close the door but you didn't. What are you even looking for anyways." Lucas told him.

  "I am looking for something to eat."

  "I know that you are looking for something to eat but there is plenty to eat at my house because my mom just went shopping yesterday."

  "Yeah but a lot of what you have is healthy food and I don't like healthy food."

  "Eating something healthy is not going to kill you. Here is some cheese balls."

  He grabbed the tub of cheese balls out of Lucas' hand and he ran back into the living room. Lucas decided to go watch another movie. When the movie finished Hailey came back into the living room and sat beside Lucas on the couch.

  "How are you feeling?" He asked her while he put the blanket around her as well.

  "I am feeling good. My headache is completely gone now." She told him.

  After they finished a third christmas movie they all decided that they wanted to go play outside in the snow for a little bit. Lucas had to place a plastic bag around his cast so that it would not get wet. They decided to build a snowman together. After they finished Lucas felt a snowball hit him in the back of the head.

  "Okay who threw that snowball at me?" He asked turning around.

  Lauren and Niall both pointed at Hailey who had a mischievous grin on her face. They started having a snowball fight until Lucas' mom told all of them to come inside and get warm. He gave Hailey a shirt and pair of sweat pants to wear. While she was changing Lucas could not help but notice bruised all over her body from where she was hit by the snowballs.