Hunt

"DON'T UNDERESTIMATE ME! I DON'T BACK DOWN AND I DON'T RUN! EVEN IF I HAVE TO STAY AN ETERNAL GENIN, I WILL TAKE IT! I'M NOT AFRAID OF YOU! I WILL BECOME HOKAGE, DATTEBAYO!!"

Naruto internally cringed. Hard. He can't believe he just shouted that. To be honest, their scents were getting to him. When he smelled Sakura's pity towards him, he sort of snapped. But like he said to Ibiki, he don't go back on his words.

The scent of Hinata's pride in him soothed his ego.

He figured it out when Ibiki threatened them about being eternal Genin. Sesshoumaru would be mad at him if he fold right there anyway. He'd rather be an eternal Genin than fold. He wanted to be Hokage. Hokage is equal in standing to a Daiyoukai. They can't fold just because there's possible risk. They're rulers, generals, and leaders. They can't back down when there's a sliver of chance for victory. No one would follow that kind of flaky leader.

So he declared his oath, loud and clear.

Like a roar to deny cowardice.

Now he paid that price with a pass, following this scantily dressed Toukubetsu Jounin calling herself Mitarashi Anko to the next exam venue. She smirked at the gathered Genin, "Welcome to the next stage for the Second Phase of this year's Chuunin Exam. Training Ground #44, also known among us elites as the Forest of Death!"

Naruto looked at the forest, sensing something in the trees like the Goshinboku, but twisted. Angry. Anguished. Like a broken heart screaming in silent pain. Sakura whispered, "This is creepy,"

Anko grinned at them with a blood thirsty look on her face, "You'll soon find out why it's called the Forest of Death,"

Naruto frowned. He could smell it. The scent of death lingered thick in the forest. Kiba made the mistake of mocking Anko and paid it with a sliced cheek. She licked his blood and Naruto was glad that he ignored his more childish side. If she had licked his blood, he wasn't sure if Hinata have the right antidote. He haven't the time to concoct a new one to counter his blood's venom.

He sneezed at the strong scent of snake coming from the Kusa Genin with the long tongue.

Anko returned to explaining things, "Now before we start, I need you lot to sign this agreement form," She grinned, "In this exam, there will be death. I don't want to be responsible for that! So you need to sign this as consent to endangering your own life by taking this exam," She laughed like it was some grand joke, making the gathered Genin pale.

She then explained about the test. In summary, each team will be given a scroll. Either Heaven Scroll or Earth Scroll. Their job will be to get to the Tower in the middle of the Forest of Death within 5 days. But there's a catch; they need both scrolls to pass.

It's a battle royal.

"Just watch out for man eating beast, poisonous insects, poisonous plants..." Naruto's ears perked up in interest. Sakura and Sasuke shared a look. It seemed that Naruto has found something to do beside staying alive in one piece. Sakura could only hope he won't drag them through places with poisonous flora or fauna. On the plus side they won't accidentally poison themselves.

Anko also told them to not lose a teammate or have a dead teammate. Those are grounds for expulsion. Naruto thought it made sense. A proper leader will do all they can to keep their troops alive through any situation if it can be helped. Basically a loss to teammate can be considered mission fail.

After everyone grabbed handed their forms and received their scrolls, they gathered before their assigned gates. Naruto looked at the scroll in his hand. Anko barked, "Second Phase of the Chuunin Exam....BEGIN!"