Arena

Naruto stared at the board. The team had gathered in the Tower, barely making it. When Hiruzen said that the exam was a replacement for war, he was shocked. But it made sense. How else was he supposed to evaluate their skill? Not only that, this exam is something of a battle festival for their clients. The strength of the Shinobi is the strength of the village they're affiliated to.

It seemed like....death will happen in the final phase of the exam.

That Kabuto guy had pulled away and yet Naruto could scent satisfaction from him. For someone who failed the Chuunin Exam as much as he does, why would he feel satisfied? Naruto kept his suspicion to himself. Everything about Yakushi Kabuto smelled...fake.

At least he will no longer stink up the whole room...

Now he stood waiting. Sakura and Sasuke had a spat about whether the Uchiha should continue. Sakura worried over the mark that's causing him pain. But Naruto's more worried about the effect the mark would have on Sasuke's psyche. Unfortunately he never did learn exorcism. His focus was mostly on controlling and developing his ki than actually using it for spiritual surgery called exorcism. If he does it wrong, he might make it worse with his own youki. If it was Kagome, she would just touch and the taint would disappear.

Shinobi are not equipped to deal with ancient matters like this. That Orochimaru...does he even know what he's playing with? His eyes drifted to one Jounin standing in the room, the one Kabuto had been sharing a look with. Naruto doesn't trust the boy's team. They're all suspicious...

Sasuke's name come up and his opponent was Kabuto's teammate. Naruto frowned but kept his tongue. He didn't know what exactly what was going on and just jumping in might make things worse. So to not mess with the hornet's nest, he will simply watch first.

Naruto listened as Kakashi told Sasuke to not use his Sharingan. This sound like trouble. He knew youki, have been lectured on its corrosive nature. He didn't like that mark on Sasuke's neck even more. It seemed that after this prelim ends, he will have to train in exorcism. He might not like Sasuke much but he's pack and one does not abandon pack...even the annoying ones.

Sasuke heed Kakashi's warning and used pure physical skill. He used nothing but physical energy, relying on a combination of Taijutsu and weaponry. Then Akado Yoroi grappled him and for some reason his strength faltered. Naruto's blue eyes flashed gold, heightening his supernatural senses. He could 'see' something being sucked out of Sasuke. Sasuke grappled his way out and he hesitated. Naruto could hear everyone doubting his pack member's skill.

Annoyed by his hesitation, he called, "Oi, are you really Uchiha Sasuke?! Is that really all you can do?!" There, another pep talk. Take it or leave it.

Sasuke took heed.

A single kick and Yoroi flew. Within moments, he pulled the man to the ground and slammed him hard. Naruto frowned, even as Kakashi took Sasuke to the medical bay. For a moment, he had sensed the curse flared. Then somehow Sasuke managed to take control and finished the battle but even that took everything out of him. He barely stand back up to be declared the winner.

He looked at Shino faced the Oto Genin whose arms Sasuke almost tore off. It didn't take long. Shino's intelligence was not something to scoff at. Naruto often wondered; between Shikamaru and Shino, who would win in a game of Shoji?

It'll probably take days...

The Genin right arm blew off and the other probably crippled. Kiba wasn't joking about not wanting to face Shino. People always harped on about geniuses and prodigies but Sesshoumaru pointed out that a Shinobi aren't supposed to stand out. The one that faded into the background are the ones that he should really worry about.