Chapter 56: Laid out to see

Start from the beginning

With that, you closed the entrance behind you and began walking downstairs to the changing room, putting on your maid uniform. ...How funny... you thought humourlessly to yourself, hanging your clothes on the hook, What I had said could be applied to the both of us, yet I felt the need to say it to her rather than myself...

(Time skip - 5 hours)

Stretching your arms, you let out a loud exhale, glancing over at Zoe who was still enthusiastically scribbling down orders on her notepad. ...Does she ever get tired...? you wondered to yourself, absent-mindedly looking over to the kitchen where Rea, Vanessa, and Mateo were busy cooking away, the latter of whom was just barely avoiding burning his frost-white beard. ...Why does he insist on letting it grow so long? you muttered in your head, watching him cook away, seeming oddly elegant for someone who looked so bulky.

"Yo! (y/n)!" your fellow waitress called, causing you to turn around to face her, finding yourself staring into her coin-grey eyes.

"Yes?" you responded, adjusting the mobcap that Catherine had so kindly placed in your hair.

"Seems like there aren't so many customers right now, so you go-" Before the short-haired female could finish, the chimes situated at the corner of the door rang out, signalling the arrival of new customers.

"Apparently this place is really good," a familiar voice remarked, making your blood run cold as you froze up.

"Really?" a certain hothead sighed, "I don't see what's so good about-"

"(y-(y/n)?!" Jay yelped, cutting Kai off as the four males stared into the side of your face, seemingly shocked by your appearance.

God damn it... you hiss, turning away and heading for the back, pretending not to have heard them, Why did they have to choose to come here of all places...

Barely getting two steps in, you felt someone grab your wrist, forcing you to stop. Glaring at the person who stopped your getaway, you found yourself looking at Zoe's knowing smirk. "S-o~ (y/n)," she grinned wrapping her arm around your neck and making you lean toward her, "I was thinking~" With each word she spoke, you felt the knot in your stomach get tighter and tighter, your intuition telling you that she was about to say something you wouldn't like. "Since you've been such a good lil' waitress today, how 'bout you keep it up a little longer? I need to go on a break, so could you take these lovely boys' orders?"

"You just went on break ten minutes ago," you hissed, trying to pull away from her grip as it was uncomfortable having to lean to the right just to talk to the girl as the top of her head barely reached your shoulders.

"Yeah, but... y'know, store policies!" she laughed, running off before you could get another word in.

Biting down the snarl that was begging to be let out, you reluctantly complied with her request, grumbling under your breath as you walked back over to the group who stood there embarrassedly. "How many?" you mutter, trying to stop yourself from getting angry at them when they didn't deserve it.

"U-uh, just us," Cole answered, unsure of where to look so he simply stared at the wall to your right.

"Okay. This way," you sigh, gesturing to the table that was situated next to the cream-white walls, "The menu's there, wave for me when you're ready to order."

Walking off, you leaned against the counter, running a hand through your hair. "Someone finally looks tired," Vanessa grinned from your right, handing you a coke.

"...Yeah," you reply, taking the drink with a small nod of thanks, cracking it open and taking a sip, feeling the fizzy bubbles burn your throat,

"So, what's with those guys?" the female with long pecan-brown hair, resting her chin on the back of her hand as she looked at you with a smug grin, wiggling her eyebrows.