Chapter 16

~Kie's pov~

I followed the kids who were running and laughing around the tables where JJ arranged the food on.

We planned on putting the gifts under the tree while they were eating the food. I have never seen JJ so exited to do actual work. He was moving around for the last two hours and played with the kids and I didn't hear him complaining once.

"Here you go, nice and warm" I said while putting a jacket I bought earlier on a little boy.

I kept dressing the kids with new clothes until I met JJ's look on me. When he saw I was looking back at him he moved his attention on the tables again. I wonder for how long he's been looking at me.

I suddenly felt a sound coming from my pocket. I took the phone out and saw John B's landline number.

"Where have you two been the whole day?" I heard Sarah's voice from the other side of the phone.

"Hi to you too" I said positioning my phone so I could support it with my shoulder while I was dressing the kids. "We're helping the kids from the middle school from the cut.

"Why didn't you tell us? We would've come too" she said and right after I heard John B complaining about thateven though he didn't know what we were talking about.

"It's fine, we'll be back soon anyway"

"Come here before going home, we'll order pizza and watch some Christmas movies"

I nodded and ended the call.

"So you're the girl JJ talked about" I heard a girl saying.

She seemed around nine and she was already wearing new clothes.

"The one who made his Christmas better every year" she countinued.

"I guess I am but I don't think I'm the reason he liked Christmas so much. I would say that the vanilla pudding was one of the reasons" I joked and then the girls looked at me confused.

"I thought you two were a couple? He wouldn't stop telling us about you last year"

He talked about me? I thought he was hating me last year. It was when I went full kook and I stopped talking with him or the others.

"He did?" I asked her confused and she just nodded.

"I hate to steal Kie from you but I need to talk with her" I heard JJ's voice from behind me. "You should go get some food, I recommend vanilla pudding" he said winking at me and that's when I realised that he heard the discussion between me and the girl.

The girl ran towards the tables leaving me and JJ alone. I'm not sure if he heard the discussion but if he did then he decided to not say anything about it.

"The presents are prepared and under the tree so we should go if you wanna catch some slice of pizza" he said signalling me to go after him outside.

I followed him outside and as soon as he opened the door I was hit with a wave of coldness. It started snowing which wasn't happening often in Outer Banks. This reminded me of the time me and him met for Christmas on the first time.

When I tried to open the door from the car he took my hands in his. His hands were warm compared to mine but it might be cause he was arranging food and preparing hot drinks for the last hours.

"I have a gift for you" he said letting my hands go.

The feeling I got when he took my hands in his made my stomach tickle in a weird way. When he dropped them so he could search through his pockets I felt disappointed. I wanted him to keep holding my hands in his. Probably cause his hands were warm and mine were freezing.

"You didn't have to buy me anything" I said but he didn't answer me.

He took a braided bracelet out of his pockets that was similar to the one I made for him.

"The bracelet you gave me was the best gift I ever got so I wanted to give you one too, I always wear the one you gave me" he said showing me the bracelet that was on his hand. "I know it might not be as important for you but I wanted to thank you for being here for me all this time"

"It's the best gift I ever got" I said leaning over to wrap my arms around him.

He was surprised but he huged me back soon after.

"I'm sorry I haven't been here last year" I whispered keeping my head in the crack of his neck.

"It's okay, don't think about it anymore" he said letting me go of the hug but our heads were still close.

Our lips were close. Just one touch between them. One simple touch that was so hard to get.

"Do you want me to put it for you" he said and I felt the panick growing inside me.

He doesn't know.

He doesn't suspect anything.

It's just a question. One simple question.

Just answer.

Just answer.

Just fucking answer.

"Kie?" He said again snapping me from my thoughts.

"No it's fine, I can put it" I said taking it from his hands which made our hands touch again.

I opened the car door and he closed it for me. I didn't look at his reaction, I was worried he suspected anything.

Before he got in the car I rearranged my bracelet a little to make place for a new one.

It still hurts. Not so much but I van still feel them.

I need to get my mind away from this. I needed to stop thinking about is.

Just stop thinking about this.

Just fucking stop thinking about this.

"Let me help you" he said picking my arm and making me feel a burn sensation.

It was already night ouside and there was no light in the car so he didn't seem to notice anything. He tied up the bracelet and pulled my blouse sleeves over.

"Are you okay? You look pale" he said starting the car.

I just nodded and looked on the window. I could see his reflection still looking at me.

"I'm okay" I said and my voice cracjed a little.

He didn't seem too convinced but he didn't ask anything else.

When we were close I decided to talk again so I could make the things a little less tensionated than they were.

"Thanks for the bracelet, it's beautiful"

"I'm happy you liked it, it took me hours till I figured out how to make one" he joked and finally I felt the things starting to get back to normal.

We stopped in front of John B's house. I got off the car and he came in front of me before we entered in the house.

"Kie, I think we should talk about what happend earlier"