Our Deadly Secret

Jake has a stash of KP nuts so whilst he's in the bathroom I sneak into his room and steal a pack from his drawer.

All nuts are banned from the house, if there's a sign that there's a peanut in the house we get an earful. He knows that I know about his stash and he trusts me enough not to tell anyone.

And being the amazing sister that I am I kept it between us. Previously I got changed into jogging bottoms and a large baggy long sleeved top so that there's no sign of the pack in my pocket.

I walk to the door having what I needed but it opens and Jake comes in sight, he looks at me confused "What are you doing in here?".

'Fuck'.

"I-I was looking for you, I'm planning on making mash, sausage with vegetables and gravy for dinner tonight and I was wondering if you fancied it and if not I can make something else".

He looks at me with unspoken suspicion "Yeah, that would be cool" He walks back to his bed with the crutches "Well I'll go now and start" He nods "Ok".

I walk out of his room with my heart racing, I didn't know that he'd be back that quick, I'm so glad he didn't question me any further.

Downstairs I boil the potatoes and veg after peeling them, they're almost done. I honestly don't feel hesitant, guilty and regret as I'm in the middle of my evil plan.

I'm going to cause my mother an allergic reaction and see if she lives. I know exactly what's going to happen, I'm going to crush the peanuts up into a power as close as I can and mix them with the gravy.

She's going to make some comment about my food and pour the gravy on. She's going to have a reaction. My father will tell me to keep the one epi-pen in the house that's in their ensuit bathroom.

I'm going to go up 'search' for the epi-pen, tell him that I can't find it. He'll drive mother to the hospital but will ask me to get his keys. I can't find them and she will most likely die if we end up calling the paramedics, they'll probably take a while.

So she'll either die or barely live.

The packet of nuts are in my jogging bottoms and are extra covered by the long sleeved baggy top that I purposely changed into.

The mash, veggies are almost ready so I put the sausages into the frying pan. The sausages are done so I wrap them in foil to keep the heat. The mash is done and the veggies are drained, time to make my favourite part.

I take out the mortar and pestle, I open the packet of nuts without worry since I know that my parents won't be able to hear the packet opening. I grind it up as close as I can to a powder and I mix it with the gravy granules.

I quickly wash up the mortar and pestle then get back to stirring the gravy after pouring hot water into the jug. I set out the plates and cutlery.

Everything's ready.

"Dinner's ready!" I hear my parents grumble and enter the kitchen "I'm going to make Jake a plate, I don't want him moving around too much" They smile "Well isn't that sweet of you" I don't reply and fix up his plate.

Walking back downstairs after Jake thanks me I enter the dining room/kitchen and make up my plate "This is very nice Lina, but it's a little bit dry" Mother comments.

Called it.

She pours on the gravy and eats.

'And in five...four...three...two..'.

Her face reddens and places a hand on her throat.

'One'.

Her hand bangs on the table catching our attention, I copy fathers facial expression "She's having a reaction! Get the epi-pen!" I abruptly stand up, my mother's face is starting to puff up.

"You know where it fucking is! In our ensuit go get it!" I run upstairs and slowly make my way to their bedroom, entering the bathroom I open the cabinet and see the pen as clear as day.

I look in the mirror and smooth out my hair "Evangelina!" I walk back to the staircase and run back down looking at him with a false panic expression "It's not there!" He swears in fustration "Jane sweetie breathe ok I'm going to take you to the hospital".

He picks her up bridal style "I can get your key-" His eyes are practically red with fury "No I'm going to get them because you're fucking useless" He quickly makes his way to the key bowl.

'Oh...I guess I won't see how it plays out'.

I have a feeling that she's going to be ok...great "Open the door!" I run to the front door and open it for them, he clicks his car keys "Open the car door quickly!" I do as he says with the quick pace, I had to to keep up the stupid facade.

Father manages to get her in the car and he speeds off not saying a single word to me before he left. I sigh and walk back inside "Lina!" I run upstairs hearing Jake call out for me.

I burst through the door "What happened are you ok?" He's standing by the window with his crutches "What happened?! I heard shouting and then the door opening and I saw dad take mum out into the car! She was limp what happened?!".

'Urgh'.

"Somehow mum had an allergic reaction and I couldn't find the epi-pen and it would've taken ages for the paramedics to get here so he drove her to the hospital, I engulf him into a hug and rub his back "She'll be ok bud, it's mum she gets through anything".

'I want to vomit from saying those words'.

He sniffles "Your right, how did it happen? There's no peanuts in the house apart from-" I interrupt him "When they went shopping they picked up the wrong gravy, I checked it because it started after she poured on the gravy".

He pulls back "There's no nuts in gravy" I let out a nervous laugh "Yes there is bud" He shakes his head and whispers "What did you do?" I can't get out of this.

A villainous smile spreads across my face unintentionally and I press my finger against my lips which is a sign of silence. He won't tell a soul, I know it.

'This is our deadly secret'.