The Handson's

Jake was released today, I thanked the Lord so much. My mum and dad helped him get to his room. I brought him up a drink and made him some Big Soup.

My mum, dad and I are in the living room having a tea watching some random show to fill the void of silence. We've barely spoken.

I don't know wether to tell them about Jake now or tomorrow. I decide tomorrow when I see the dark bags under their eyes "Mum, dad?" They both look at me.

"Why don't you go upstairs and have a rest? You both need it" They look at each other and my mum replies to me "Ok, we'll only have a small nap" And they make their way upstairs with their teas, probably want to finish then upstairs.

I flip through the channels wanting a distraction. I see the news so I click on the channel to see what's going on in the world.

There's a reporter, my eyebrows furrow slightly in confusion as I see the fear she's desperately trying to hide but failing. She clears her throat.

"Hello I'm Hannah Cox reporting for CBB News. I am stood outside the Handson's residence where" She stops talking for a second then let's out a shaky breath.

"The whole family was brutally murdered. They were all hung in their living room. What I am about to describe is gruesome, if you don't feel comfortable then please switch to another channel.

Alan Handson, forty six years old. He worked at SuperLaw, the best law firm in Oxford. His mouth was sewed up.

Joanne Handson, forty three years old. She was a district nurse. Her eyes were sewed up.

Jason Handson, their thirteen year old son. He went to Carrington School, he was a very bright young man who could've gotten far in life. His school pencils were stabbed through his ears.

And Jessica handson" She stops and attempts to get herself together.

"Jessica was only six months old, she was found upstairs in her cot, the police heard screaming but when they arrived it was only a recording of a baby screaming. She was lying in her cot, her eyes gauged out. The police also stated that she was alive when the murderer took her eyes

She was also strangled as there was a bruise on her neck, her eyes were gauged out first then she was strangled". The reporter woman wipes her nose as she was sniffling.

"As I said before...Jessica Handson was six months old". She walks up close to the camera "If the murderer is watching this...you rot in hell you sick sick monster!".

As she was carrying on one of the camera crew had to gently pull her away. I feel something drop on my hand, a droplet of water? I touch my cheek and realise I'm crying unknowingly.

Ugly sobs escape me. I slap my hand on my mouth trying not to wake up my parents and worry my brother.

'Why?! Why would someone do that?! And to a baby! An innocent family who has done nothing wrong!'.

I quickly change to a different channel, I can't handle to hear anymore of that appalling tragedy. Violently wiping my eyes I think to myself.

'Get it together!'.

Sniffling I stand up to get another cup of tea which brings me comfort. Sitting back down in the same spot I look at the TV and faintly smile as my favourite show pops up.

But I couldn't help but think back to.

'The Handson Family'.