Chapter 21: Epilogue

-Dear Journal,

It had been almost three days since Sonic and the others went back home to Mobius. I hope they're all doing well. I had a great adventure with them. Even getting myself shot was exciting, but I won't be doing that again any time soon. It still hurts sometimes and I have to be careful not to laugh to hard, but it will serve as a reminder and a story for future generations.

It's been so quiet not having them around to chat with. I miss Rouges teasing, Knuckles shouting as a response to her teasing, Tails' telling about a new invention, Amy's ranting, Creams playing, Sonic's contagious laughter, Silver's naiveté, even Shadow's silence. I wonder if I'll ever see them again.

The kids will be home soon. Grandpa finally got tired of waiting for the flood to clear out so he took a flight back to hear. It's a good thing my aunt Ellen paid for it. The kids are not going to believe what my summer was like. At least Stephen and Alice won't, I think Sarah will believe me though.

Oh, I think they're pulling up just now. As Sonic would say, 'Gotta Juice.'

I put my journal away and race downstairs to see the kids. Stephen had regrettably gotten taller than last time, and now so was Alice. They were now taller than me! At least Sarah was still a bit shorter than I was.

"Hey, Em!" Stephen said, his voice deeper than I remember. "How's your ankle?"

"Ankle?" I asked. I had completely forgotten about my sprained ankle after being so worried about my gunshot wound. "Much better." I answer.

"Good," Stephen said, giving me a fist bump. "Trust me it is no fun being stuck inside all day."

I flashback to when I was first starting to heal from the gunshot wound and had to stay in Shadow's guest room. "True to that!" I reply. "So how was your summer guys?"

"Wet." Alice replied. "It did nothing but rain for a week! Good thing Aunt Ellen and Ellana live on high ground. When the storm passed, we got to play outside with Uncle Bob."

"Look what he taught us to make." Sara said as she pulled out an old fashioned sling. "Steven's the top shot at it though."

"That's right." Steven said, sounding cocky.

"I hear a challenge in that remark, dude." I say.

"Maybe there is, and maybe there isn't." Steven said.

"No more hanging out with Grandpa for you, bud." I said.

"So how was your summer, Em?" Alice asked as we walked in the door.

I just smile and walk in silently with a sly look on my face.

"Uh oh," Steven said. "It's never good when she gets that look."

"Aren't you going to tell them about your trip, Em?" My mom asked.

"Na, I'll let them stew over it for a while." I answer. "At least until after dinner. It's that surprise right?"

"As you requested." My dad said, pulling out a plate of chilidogs and putting it on the table.

"EEEWWWW!" The kids exclaim. "We're eating chilidogs?"

"They're part of what I did during the summer." I told them. "And I'm not breathing a word about it until you guys at least try some."

Hesitantly, the kids sat down with our parents and me and took a bite of the chilidogs. Alice loved them and had seconds. Stephen liked them okay but only had the one. Sara also ate the one but seemed to like it better than Stephen.