Chapter 13: Captured.... Again.

The rest of the party lasted long into the night. The bonfire that Knuckles had started earlier that afternoon was still roaring, making everything glow with a golden-orange light. Vector had disappeared for a long while before returning with his DJ stuff. "What's a party without some music?" He asked in his usually loud voice.

"I didn't know you did DJ work, Vector." I said walking over to his equipment. When I was in horse judging for 4H, my couch was also a football coach and a DJ, and he was the DJ for a night party at state one time.

"Yup," Vector answered, rummaging through his bags. "Aaarg! I hate it when I forget the dang music!"

I smile at Vector. I had grown to like the croc through the last month I stayed here at the island. He may have been cold blooded, but he had a warm heart once you got to know him personally.

I suddenly get a wonderful idea. "Hold on, Vector," I said. "I'll be back in a flash."

I activate my new shoes and race off toward Shadow's home. I grab my laptop, glad that I charged it, and raced back to the beach. It didn't take more than five minutes.

"Wow," Sonic said. "Even I'm impressed. I think you like your new shoes."

"Love them!" I said and hand Vector my laptop.

I was about to help him, when Knuckles tapped me on my shoulder. "Vector can handle this with Tails' help." He said. "I have something I want to show you."

"Sure," I said, grabbing my new backpack with my gifts and closely following Knuckles into the forest.

The guardian led me down many trails. I stay quiet, simply enjoying the walk. I could barely feel the air on my arms, making it feel like time itself had stopped. Knuckles stopped at a cliff face before looking at me. "Before we continue, you have to swear to secrecy."

I smile at Knuckles. He always took his job seriously. I put my left hand over my heart and raise my right. "Knuckles, I swear on my life and our friendship that whatever secret you are about to share with me, no other will hear about it."

Knuckles smiled with satisfaction and pressed on a stone on the cliff, causing a hidden door to open, reminding me of a scene in The Hobbit. Knuckles led me down the tunnel. The walls were lined with glowing crystals. Neither of us saw the shadow slip in behind us as the door closed after our entry.

Suddenly, I stop. I felt the chaos energy levels go up. My spine tightened and my arms began twitching. Knuckles looked over at me as I suddenly realized where he was leading me. He smiled at me. Not the 'I'm cool and don't get in my way' smile, it was a smile that reminded me of one that a father would give his child.

"Get ready to be blown away," He said as we turn a corner.

What I saw took my breath away. In front of me was the biggest gem I saw. I knew the Master Emerald was big, but I never imagined it would be as big as my family's Mini Van!

"Only Sonic and Shadow know about this place." Knuckles explained. "Since I moved the Mater Emerald here it's been safer from robbers and thieves like Rouge. Even she can't find this place."

He led me up to where the Emerald stood on its alter. I could feel the chaos energy washing over me like waves, each wave sending a shiver up my spine. "So this thing was how you and the others got here?"

"Yup," Knuckles replied. "I'm not sure how or why the Emerald started acting up like that though. You would think that since I'm the Guardian I would know about this stuff."

"Not everything comes with a manual." I answer reaching over and touching the giant gemstone. "Most things you just have to have Faith with."

"I think that's what one of the last Guardians said." Knuckles said. "Or something close to it anyway. Lets see, I think it was 'When you have no orders to fallow, then fallow your instincts."