CHAPTER 5: Trouble Arrives

I was surprisingly very tired come Monday morning. I just couldn't bring myself to get out of bed. I breathed slowly, drinking in the warmth and looseness of my covers. Soon, a ray of sunlight landed on my face. My nose tickled the suns touch, making me sneeze. I open my eyes, knowing my parents would be back in town for another crazy week with this sale going on. They would be staying at my Grandparents vacant house until this weekend when the sale was officially over. I had until then to figure out how to tell them about Sonic and the others.

'At least I can put weight on my ankle now.' I think gratefully as I get up and reach for only one crutch.

I get up and walk down the stairs to the kitchen. I open the front door and wave, signaling that the coast was clear.

Soon everyone was back in my house. Sonic seemed to be beaming more than usual, he cheerily said good morning and offered to help with breakfast.

"Thanks Sonic, but I'm afraid if we keep having big meals like this we'll run out of food." I tell him half chuckling and his cheerful mood. "I was thinking of something small this morning like toast or cereal or toaster strudels. Just so that my folks don't suspect where all the food is going."

"Sounds agreeable." Shadow said. Walking in behind Rouge.

We all migrated to the kitchen where it was soon bustling as everyone got his or her breakfast. I'd tell you what they all got but that would be boring.

After breakfast, I turned on some news just as background noise as I took care of the laundry. Shadow soon joined me and just looked at me. I looked back at him from the corner of my eye, making him turn his gaze away. "Can I help you Shadow?"

He shook his head. "You just remind me of someone, that's all."

I look at him. I knew whom he was talking about. The Shadow Saga were my favorite episodes in Sonic X even though it was a sad story. Shadow was talking about either Maria Robotnik or Molly. I smile at him.

Before I could reply, Shadow turned away and walked back to the living room.

I finish the laundry then I go up to my room and get ready for bible study. I grab my 50's style red bike and put it by the front porch before walking in the house.

"Hey guys, I'll be heading to the church for bible study," I explained. "I'll be back maybe around six thirty."

"You think I could tag along?" Sonic asked.

"I'm afraid I can't." I say. "You nearly gave me a heart attack last time at service Sonic. I'm glad you came in all, but you could have been spotted. I think I'll be easier if you guys hang here. Just hold down the fort alright?"

They all nodded and I was out the door. Little did I know that I was being watched.

"WOHOHOHO!" Dr. Eggman laughed as he watched me ride my bike down the rode to the church. "That's her alright. Now to make sure no one see's I'll wait until after dark, when she's making a return trip."

"Doctor, are you sure she can help us find the chaos emeralds?" Asked Decoe, the scientists golden robot.

"According to the Chaos readings I'm getting from her, there isn't any doubt." Eggman replied. "I just have to be sure that Sonic and his friends don't get in my way."

After the bible study, I mounted my bike and started for home. I thought about what Shadow said, and what I didn't say. I was going to offer that I could be his friend, but it felt that I was trying to replace Maria or Molly, something I knew I couldn't do. Besides, I didn't want Shadow thinking that I was trying that.

I was halfway home when my spine tightened. It surprised me to the point where I stopped to look around. Big mistake. Immediately there was a prick in the back of my neck. I stumbled over my bike and landed in the street. Before I completely blacked out, I felt two arms pick me up, and a single word went through my head. "Help…."

It was now seven o'clock. Sonic, Shadow and Knuckles were getting worried. Amy kept Cream busy with another Barbie game, Tails was in the shop working on the labarum, and Rouge was waiting with the boys.

"I wouldn't think she'd be the kind to be late…." Rouge said finally.

Sonic had a bad feeling. Like a buzz in the back of his head that told him to go find out what was going on. Shadow and Knuckles had the same feeling.

Finally, Sonic couldn't take it any longer. "I'm going to find her." He said as he walked out the door.

He was about to take off when Shadow touched his shoulder. "I'll go with you. Knuckles, watch the others."

Knuckles nodded. He kept his shovel claws close just in case.

"Hold up!" Rouge said walking out of the house. "You're not leaving me out of this."

"We don't have time to argue," Shadow said. "You can come but stay close."

Shadow, Rouge and Sonic raced to the Church only to find it was locked. It was a good thing Rouge was around; she quickly picked the lock and led them inside. They looked everywhere, but there was no sign of Emily anywhere. They left the church, re-locking it, and walked back to the house. Suddenly, something glinted in the moonlight, catching Rouge's eye. She looked over and saw it was Emily's bike.

"Shadow!" She called as she floated down to fetch the bike. Shadow and Sonic came running and saw what Rouge had found. Next to it was a syringe with an all too familiar logo on the side.

"Eggman!" Sonic growled. "Eggman has Emily!"