30: Beautiful Peace

Xiao was not panicking. Aether was an adult, and had proven himself fully capable of taking care of himself, be it by surrounding himself by strong people, or by simply being strong himself. So him having not shown up for only one night was not a big deal at all. After Venti's initial disappointment at the blonde not being able to be a part of their morning preparations, they'd quickly moved into normalcy again.

Although neither of them had to eat, it was a nearly essential part of the morning for the three turned four of the anemo wielding men to gather in the kitchen to speak about what it was they were doing. As Kazuha had taken his leave to Inazuma while Aether was in Sumeru, the room felt empty with just them. Though they loved being alone usually, this seemed like an omen. Xiao stood over the fire, stoking it distractedly as Venti floated in from his continued nap on the sofa. He yawned as he looked over Xiao's shoulder into the pot, eyebrows turning up in confusion as he spotted only plain rice in the bowl.

"Uh, Alatus, what are you making?" Xiao spared a glance at the pot, realizing he forgot to add anything else he needed to make congee as he was intending. Venti noticed the look in his eyes, tone softer.

"Are you worried for our traveler?" He pulled a tall Mondstadt style stool over to where he could hand ingredients to Xiao whilst still speaking with him. Xiao wasn't sure what he should say. As he took the broth from Venti's fingers, he opened his mouth, speaking slowly.

"I don't think I should be worried, but I am. Nothing would stop him from coming in to the teapot for sleep." Xiao shook his head hard, as if doing so would shake the feelings of doubt from it. It didn't work. Venti handed him pieces of chicken they'd kept with mist flower corollas in a box, mixing them gently into the thickening mixture.

"There's nothing wrong with worrying, it's not as if you're restricting his freedom out of fear. Plus, you're in love with him, of course you'll worry." Venti's tone was gentle, and Xiao just nodded, dropping the spoon to the side of the pot and turning to face him.

"Would it be ok if you.." His words dropped off, and he just held out his arms to his partner. Venti giggled.

"Oh my, the mighty General Alatus is asking for my comfort? Whatever-" Xiao just looked at him, a sharpness to his gaze he usually used for mortals, not his boyfriend. Venti's face dropped its mischievous shine, and he smiled a little more genuinely.

"Alright love, come on." He pulled him closer, the fluttering warmth of his existence simultaneously a reminder of his condition and of his status as a wind spirit. He was so comfortably soft, and Xiao felt tears welling up in his eyes as he brushed his fingers through the back of his head. This happened every time he was held like this, and Xiao wasn't exactly sure why such emotions even surfaced in such a nice place, but it did.

Before he couldn't see from the thick tears that were already beginning to stream from his eyes, he pulled himself away, surveying the congee and stirring it once more before asking for the other man to pull a couple bowls from the always stocked shelves. He took two long-handled spoons from the place Kazuha placed them to dry after washing, trading it to Venti for the second bowl.

He served them both, spooning a bit more into Venti's bowl, and taking them to sit down at the table. His head hit him hard, and he stumbled a bit into his chair. Venti laughed when he sat down, an easy joke about him possibly drinking a bit too much as well flowing easily. He just brought his spoon to his mouth, relishing in how warm and comfortable it was. Though he had little to no memories of when he was young, he felt a sense of nostalgia whenever his Lord made it for him after his rescue.

Venti made a sound of appreciation when he lifted his own spoon, glee lighting up his eyes.

"This is good Xiao!"

Soon enough, both their bowls were gone, and he wrapped the little that remained in a container and placed it with the mist flower corollas. Venti was quick to urge him outside after he finished cleaning, promising a song if he would keep him company while he wrote. Xiao wouldn't have refused the offer anyways, much less with a song. His body had been unusually sore as of late, the effects of his debt taking their toll on his body and mind both.

They sat under the tree Venti had designated as his favorite, insisting that even though it had produced no flowers, it would grow Inazuman fig like fruits. Aether had agreed that it was supposed to do exactly that, though he looked a bit skeptical. Venti began his writing, speaking as he wrote, giving Xiao an insight into where exactly he was in his memories.

I had no desire to come back into interacting with my people, though I do care for you all, I suppose I see freedom as a thing you must figure out yourselves, but my dearest friend of old, my familiar began to go crazy.

I decided that rather than allow one of the only reminders of the past I had become such a villain in my peoples eyes, I would risk showing myself to them. My dearest Dvalin had suffered because of my neglect and when I first saw his sickly form the anguish in my heart had no equal. I heard a branch behind me and a small voice and fled, for though I was willing to reveal myself to my people, I'd lived for centuries in solitude and had grown skittish as a young bird.

After I fled, a blonde haired traveler walked into the clearing. He walked tall, as if he was confident in the woods, as if he'd lived here long. But he spoke in a strange tongue to his companion, who spoke the dialect of Teyvet in return. He seemed to be in shock as he happened upon the tear of my friend, pocketing it before heading down the trail once more as he nodded while his companion spoke.

I followed him as he met my people, watched as he slowly learned bits of our language, as he pieced together the reason for my friend's corruption. I was in awe. Never before had I met someone so like me, but still so different. He bore the mark of my power, and the very world seemed to quake around him when he fought.

Finally I got too close to him, and was noticed. He trailed me for nearly two miles before I was found, intrigued by the mystery surrounding, as I'd heard him called, Aether.

Xiao was beginning to drift off now, his eyesight fading as his love's soft voice lulled him into the darkness he hated so much in his younger years.