23: Kitchen Disscussions

Venti was hanging off of him, his head leaning over his shoulder as Xiao looked skeptically at different herbs before throwing them into the pot. Though it smelled nice, he wasn't entirely sure if it would actually taste good as he'd never made food for anything besides sustenance for himself. He pulled the spoon he was stirring with up to Venti's lips, waiting as he tried it.

"Needs salt." He walked over to the shelf, shuffling through the seasonings for a moment and coming back with salt. Xiao took it, glancing back at the door into the main area. Kazuha hadn't left, and his calm presence was regrettably a bit of a relief. He handled Aether's irritability very well, and spoke in a soft tone that didn't seem too bothersome, no matter how much Xiao wanted to dislike him. His earlier assessment of the storm in his eyes seemed to be correct in what little Venti seemed to know of the samurai.

He was pulled from the door by Venti's shout as the pot began to boil over, splashing burning hot soup towards them. He was at it in an instant, holding the pot above the flames, letting the bubbling cease as he turned down the stove. Kazuha peeked his head in, a semi-curious look in his eyes as he surveyed the mess they'd accidentally made. There was a shifting sound from the living room then, and Kazuha left the doorway.

"He seems sweet." Venti's voice was teasing as he came back over his shoulder. He seemed to like that lately, draping himself over Xiao and seeing how long he could stay like that. It turned out to be quite a while. Admittedly, Xiao was enjoying having a partner, and Venti tended to be very clingy and soft. It was a nice respite from his old life. But he also was extremely fond of the blonde in the other room, and now his conflicting feelings were beginning to bite him in the butt.

"Yeah." He sounded harsh even to his own ears, and he found himself looking away from the now snugger grip around his shoulders.

"But..." His tone was about as serious as it was getting recently, Venti seemed to be extra amiable since their talk outside of the church. He was correct in his inquiry as well. Xiao wasn't sure if he wanted Aether to be so close to someone who seemed so kind and good. Though he knew it was unfair, and he would never say it aloud, he knew he was nothing like the Inazuman in the other room.

Kazuha seemed knowledgeable and calm. He was clearly capable as he had saved Aether's life at least once when Xiao was there. Xiao was...none of those things.

He wasn't knowledgeable, he wasn't capable, or kind, or nearly as attractive as the other man. Venti tapped his fingers against his chin gently, bringing his attention back to the food and his partner.

"Xiao, I know you have feelings for him." His half-hearted stirring came to a stop, and he turned to look at the man basically clinging to him. Though he'd never tried to hide his feelings from him, he hadn't anticipated talking about it so soon. His momentary worries were quelled almost immediately at Venti's soft grin.

"Obviously I noticed, I feel the same way." Oh. That actually... made sense. One of their first interactions after he met Aether was just them mutually admiring his beauty. It made a lot of sense.

He turned back around to the stove, pulling the pot off the heat, and setting it gently on a table. Venti is close still, as he has been since he woke up to a stranger in the house. He turned and simply held the man in his arms for a moment, relishing in his warmth and the soft smell of cider. Perhaps he'd been showing more affection than he used to lately, but he'd begun an entirely new life, and if he wanted to hug his boyfriend, he would.

It was maybe a bit weird how he tried to defend his feelings to himself. Venti sighed into his neck, relaxing into the hug a bit more and mumbling.

"We're hopeless." Then after a moment of comfortable silence, "I love you." Xiao found himself smiling in response though he knew Venti wouldn't see it. The man his Lord told him stories about, the man who saved him over and over, who cried in his arms after a nightmare and kissed him under a tree in Mondstadt told him he loved him.

No matter their mutual feelings for their friend and his questionable judgment on situations that are or aren't safe, at least they had each other.

Footsteps sounded outside the kitchen entry growing closer every moment they stood there. Once Xiao swore they were going to walk in on the tender embrace, Venti pulled back, only to pull him back for a kiss. Though the times he'd kissed Venti in the past had been soft and gentle, akin to the breeze through the Mondstadt Cities streets, it was much harsher this time. He felt the urge to whimper into it, but bit it back before he could embarrass himself further. Venti smirked when he pulled away yet again, whispering almost quieter than even Xiao could hear.

"You look pretty red."

In the next breath, Kazuha and Aether were in the room, looking apprehensive at the smell of the soup. For Aether's sake, he at least made sure it wasn't very strong of a flavor, as to not bother his stomach in the state it was in.

Kazuha was polite as he sat at the Kotatsu, helping Aether ease down and looking sympathetic at the way he winced when he sat. Maybe Xiao could get over his feelings if Aether were to like this man. He was genuine. And they looked close.

Venti cuddled up close to him when they found their seats, and they each payed respects before eating. His mind wandered, as it tended to do, back to his duties in Liyue. At Venti's nudge, he was back again, the concerned look on his face sort of a reassurance.

He was fine.