28: Advice from the Learned

This chapter contains Diluc and Kaeya lore loosely based off the actual canon, but definitely not canon itself completely. Just a heads up.

Aether was having less extreme headaches now, and had taken Paimon with him to head for Sumeru for a meeting with the Dendro Archon. He was alone in the teapot with Venti yet again, attempting to help him with his writing. It was slow however, his writing sloppy and new, and his understanding of the spelling of certain words lacking. He and Aether had spoken once about their shared illiteracy, him in writing, and his friend in his knowledge of the language of Teyvet.

Venti mumbled from his shoulder, having moved from writing about the war and into Venti's protection of the city he so loved in his absence.

"I mostly wandered over the centuries, visiting other countries, and playing my lyre by Vanessa's tree come night. I heard every prayer, listening intently to your woes, laughing at your joys and hoping against all hope that your dreams would come true." He paused to yawn, a hand coming up to rub at his eyes before he continued.

"Though I had no desire to be an overlord, I knew all that you did, I protected silently from the shadows. One of the times I was very close to revealing myself, leaving my seclusion to instead speak with my people. A young man lost his father, and his dearest friend in but one night, and I still feel the regret from that night." Xiao paused in his writing, causing Venti to gaze at him blankly. It was a bad day so far, his eyes more vacant looking than they had been in weeks.

"I don't know the characters for overlord." His throat felt thick, hands shaky as he examined his child-like writing. Only a few short years ago, he hadn't seen the reasoning for any of these things, had thought them a thing only mortal's need learn. He wished he had asked his Lord to teach him before. He'd never felt so inadequate.

Venti's careful fingers held the brush now, careful lines swept onto the page spelling the word. Xiao just blinked. As the days since Aether'd left had been hard for his companion, Xiao's old injuries were acting up as well, his body aching like it hadn't since he'd moved in. It was nightmarish, how sleepless his nights were with the pain, how quickly the urge to make the pain last. Punishing himself for something that hasn't even happened yet.

Zhongli had provided a tea leaf that was supposed to help with the erosion's speed, and though it made him nearly sick to smell, Venti didn't mind it. Xiao wasn't entirely sure if it was genuinely helping at all, but it seemed to make his Lord happy. And when things made the Archons happy, he found it best to not question them.

He was handed back the brush, Venti continuing in his speech, and they would write until he forgot.

"Though I am not aware if they will read this, who I speak of will know it is them I mention. I could give any manner of excuses, offer that the rain would have inhibited my ability to whisk away the enemy, leaving you with all loved ones intact. However, I have long believed that the wind moves in a predetermined route, and it is no business of mine, Archon or no, to govern that path. I am aware that this is not satisfactory, and do not hold it against you, my people if you curse my name for my misdeeds." Xiao wanted to interrupt, to protest that he had done no misdeeds, had protected his city in their time of need, had nothing to apologize for, but he continued speaking.

"I'm sorry for the loss I did not prevent, be it between these two young men specifically, or any other losses." He stopped, and Xiao watched him, expecting more words to stream from those wonderful lips, but instead he shook his head, getting to his feet.

"Let's take a break now. Master Diluc's at home today." He wiggled his eyebrows in a way that seemed suggestive, though Xiao knew he was just going to get blackout drunk, and then cry into the redheads expensive looking suit jacket. Diluc always tolerated it, and it gave them a chance to speak of more serious matters. So he nodded, pulling himself up by the hand offered to him. Though his head spun when he was on his feet, his shook it off as best he could as to not worry the man holding his hand.