2: The Vigilant Yaksha

Xiao could usually feel people coming in the wind the second they were near, but today was simply a bad day. Firstly something was off in the mountains of Liyue, and he couldn't figure out what it was and it was driving him absolutely crazy. Also on the topic of things being off, so many corrupted beings were gathered around the Wangshu Inn and Liyue in general. It was strange. An omen perhaps? He didn't think it was, and he hoped to his Lord that he was correct in that regard. If he was wrong, it spelled all kinds of danger for the citizens of Liyue.

Even though the Adepti had an agreement with the Qixing in regards to protecting the harbor, this was were he resided, his home. And for that reason, he felt no qualms about slaughtering the corrupted hilichurls around it. As an addition, its not like anyone besides the Adepti could truly cleanse the evil from the world. Well, perhaps the exorcists could come closer than anyone else, in that they could banish it for a small time. But Xiao could kill it. And thus he did.

He stood, the bodies of the dead and corrupted lay limp around his feet. He kicked one of their bodies out of the water, knowing that in some instances, it could and would make certain more sensitive people sick. He had just finished slinging his polearm over his shoulder and onto his back when Aether rounded the corner. He was suddenly hyper-aware of every move he made as the traveler and his awful floating companion got close enough to speak to him. Zhongli had nearly laughed at him when he explained his plight, though the ex-Archon held it in so well that no one but Xiao would have even noticed his amusement.

Instead of freaking out and snapping at them, he simply greeted the two as if acquaintances, which he could say that they were. Although at Paimon's surprised declaration of, "You're being more polite than usual Xiao." He did respond a little harshly. The pixie had a strange way of getting on his nerves so quickly it was almost a talent. Although as they continued conversing about the plight of the Yakshas, he started understanding something.

"What are you two talking about, how do you-?" Though he stopped his question there, Aether seemed to pick up on what he meant, giving Paimon a look before signing, "We read a book about Yakshas while we were in Liyue."

Oh, that explained a lot.

"That book is a fictitious 'retelling' of past events."

A little further into the conversation and Paimon seemed to finally understand that he was the last Yaksha, tears immediately brimming in her eyes as she spoke, "Oh Xiao, that must be terrible, such awful things-"

He cut her off swiftly, not really thrilled about this turn of conversation, " My fallen fellow Yaksha would be appalled that they were being pitied as such." Aether looked a little taken aback by his tone, but that didn't stop him from continuing to speak in the same borderline cruel tone, "To exist is to suffer, and I simply endure it as it is all I can do."

The look Aether gave him made him feel small, and vulnerable, uncomfortable. He felt awfully seen in a way he hadn't in centuries. It was good, but so bad feeling that he moved on with the conversation as quickly as he could, Informing them that there was more corrupted creatures in a cave a little further out.

The moment they stepped into the cave, Xiao could feel something very off. Off in the sense that he was expecting less corruption here than there was. He formed his accursed mask over his face, glaring over at the floating pixie and shooting an only slightly kinder look at Aether.

"Be careful, there is much evil in this place." As much as he would like to pretend that the mask was simply for show, to make it easier on himself, he was not too prideful to admit that he was a little frightened. There was more evil here than he had been expecting from a place so near to the city. Making sure the floating one and Aether were only a step behind him, he stepped off into the fog. He could feel his body beginning to ache from the strain his debt put on him and he couldn't help but look anxiously behind him. If his pain was not transferring to them then everything would be just fine for the rest of the day.