20: Communication?

TW: Throwing up.

"It's probably nothing in all honesty. But remember why my Lord gave up his position?" Venti's expression immediately fell, but he was quick to replace it with a more cheerful one. If this whole thing wasn't simply Venti being forgetful, then this was most likely erosion. His Lord had been worrying about it himself for the past decade or so, and the thought that it could genuinely happen to someone he cared for was a bit of a reality check.

Venti looked more relieved than anything, but Xiao couldn't help but feel a bit of anger for him. Perhaps a bit of anger was for himself as well. He'd finally found someone he wasn't worried about hurting, someone who had known him for longer than his memory even went back. Someone who knew all the horrible things he'd done and still cared for him, in some way or another. He wasn't entirely sure if he could handle being correct about this in particular.

"It's more than time for me to go anyways." He pulled his knees up to his chest, resting his head on them and smiling. He'd been crying about this exact thing earlier in the day, and it was a bit worrying how quickly his attitude changed, but maybe he was genuinely relieved at the knowledge of what it might be. Xiao doubted it, but he would believe his friend.

"I do though...I feel a bit guilty." He stopped, taking an unsteady breath, "No one else remembers. I'm the only one left, and I said that I was using his form to remember him. To tell his story." He sniffled a bit now, rubbing at his cheek furiously.

Xiao understood the need to remember everything that had ever happened that the mortals forgot, but there was only so much even they could take.

"Tell me. I'll remember." He hadn't meant to say it out loud, but he'd considered it for a half-second and in that time it had slipped. He wasn't even sure if he could actually keep his word this time, but the sorrow on Venti's face even as he grinned tiredly seemed to cause all Xiao's common sense to flee his body. These feelings were hell. For a moment he allowed a cynical thought to pass through his head before shaking it off. Even with these troublesome feelings and thoughts, it would be worse away from Venti and Aether.

Venti's eyes were shining, be it from happiness or the tears he was so close to shedding only moments before, Xiao wasn't sure. He was quiet when Venti spoke again.

"Yeah. That sounds good." He stopped abruptly and when he thought he'd finished, he continued, "I'd like to write it down as well I think. A memento for my people if you will." Xiao could understand that. Perhaps the people of Mondstadt would be overjoyed to hear from their absentee God again, even though he was not their god any longer. It was a good idea.

So he agreed, letting Venti lean his head against him again. They sat like that for what felt like too long, the wind blowing around them gently, moderating the temperatures and keeping them cool in the sun. It was late when the sisters began leaving and they decided that it had been enough time. Xiao wasn't banned as the Archon was, so while he walked through the front doors, Venti made his way through one of the windows someone left open. Xiao quickly found the young sister Venti had insisted was the best to take Aether to, asking where he was. When she led him to a back room, he bowed low, waiting until she'd left to acknowledge Venti in the corner.

"So respectful Alatus." He was back to his usual self, bending to Xiao's height, arms behind his back with a teasing smile on his face. His expression changed in an instant, a faux pout on his lips now.

"Why do you never treat me with such respect?" He was getting closer, his face nearly at Xiao's now. He could feel his face getting warmer as the ex-Archon stopped right before him. Venti grinned, eyes darting down to his lips, and he drew in further, before leaning all the way to his ear.