6: A Release of Responsibilty

AN: most of this chapter, unlike the last 5 is in Zhongli's point of view. Thought it might add a little background pizzazz if you will.

Long ago Xiao had sworn to his Lord to never speak his name aloud. He was aware of the constant praying to him and in no way wanted to add to his burdens, but this time, this he deemed important. He had gone so far as to sign a contract with his Lord about it. A near guarantee that if he were to ever say his name, akin to what he promised Aether, his Lord would be there immediately. So when the words left his lips in a cut off scream, his Lord's head shot up.

Morax had not heard his name from that voice in centuries. And the way he screamed, the ex-Archon knew there would be no time for moving slowly. Though he was no longer an Archon, he was still the strongest geo wielder in all of Liyue, not to mention millennia old. It took him no time at all to be at the blonde travelers side, gazing down at what seemed to no longer be Xiao. Or mostly no longer Xiao. Morax could still feel him in there, deep, deep in there, struggling in the blackness.

He had known that Alatus was the most stubborn, possibly the strongest mentally, but he hadn't expected him to still be there after the corruption had taken hold. Of the times Xiao had visited him in the past couple of months, he supposed that there had been something off about the normally cold man. He seemed tired, more pained than usual. But also happier. Morax had chalked it up to Aether having basically forced him to be his friend.

Morax knew that it was probably good for Xiao, being confronted with all that he had become over the years of self-enforced isolation; he had methods of controlling his Karmic debt that he himself didn't approve of in the slightest. Staring into the face of his oldest friend, Morax felt as if maybe it was time. Alatus had served his recompense, perhaps Xiao deserved to live. He had known Xiao the longest of anyone he knew now, and he had felt his friend fading for a long time now.

He had watched from his mountain as the Adepti got back to the inn later and later, more and more hurt each time. He watched with an irrational amount of sadness as the man that he hoped would flourish in this new world sat in the cold waters to keep from healing himself.

Now as he watched the man that he had figuratively raised back to life raise to his feet slowly, pupils small, face slack of anything at all, he wondered if perhaps he should have known. Known that the one that he cared about the most, the boy he used to hold as he cried about all that he had done while he wasn't himself, hated himself more than anything else. More than the evil he was supposed to be killing. Morax felt a sense of responsibility, but that was not his main concern as of now.

His main concern was both that Xiao was rushing them, mask on and tears running down his face and hitting the ground, as well as that Aether had dropped his sword. He was just standing there, a look of surprise on his face. Morax wasn't really shocked at the lack of fear on the younger man's face and he pulled bars out of the ground, encasing Xiao in solid rock before he could reach them.

Morax was reeling when he moved his Yaksha to Cloud Shaper, his mind moving so much slower than it usually did. He had lost so many of his friends in the war and since, that he had thought that losing the Adepti he thought of as family wouldn't hurt as much as it did. Aether had left hours ago to bring 'emotional support' as he put it.

He was back now, a self-conscious looking Barbatos holding out a bottle of Osmanthus wine out to him, not meeting his eyes until Morax pulled him in for a tight hug. No matter their petty squabbles, their differences of opinion when it came to running their countries, they had been friends nearly longer than Barbatos had been an Archon. Morax had missed his old friend, and now reeling at the knowledge that Xiao was dying, he couldn't continue this fight any longer. If one of them were to die before they had the opportunity to drink together again, to speak proudly about their countries, Morax would break.

So he embraced him, feeling his much smaller form stiffen significantly before his arms came up to wrap around Morax carefully, as if he was delicate. While he didn't appreciate that sentiment much, it felt so good to be held by someone who knew him at his weakest already, had been there at his most vengeful. Someone who also cared for Xiao, if only as the Archon of his vision.

When Morax finally released his friend, he made his way carefully over to where Xiao was being held in the ground, arms bound as to prevent any violent tendencies.

"Alatus, you continue to surprise me. Most of my vision bearers don't seek me out, much less to simply listen to me play. Did it help as you hoped it would?" Xiao's tears stopped flowing so consistently, a dazed look coming over him. His breathing slowed, and his eyes narrowed as Venti took his lyre from his back, beginning to play a slow tune that Morax recognized from their past. It had been a song Barbatos' friend had played for them on occasion. It was a song of old, older even than either of them, his friends had been the last to play it since.

So when Venti began with lyrics, Morax was speechless. He had known that Barbatos had been around long, always in the wind, always there, somewhere, but he hadn't realized just how long.

You fought, and you conquered, you lived out your life.

To aid the poor people, to help did you strive.

Your journey is over, your sun does now set,

So lay down your weapon, and rest now your head.

The fighting is over, the battle's been won,

Now sleep my sweet child, your duty is done.

Sleep my sweet child, I'll safeguard your rest,

And if you awaken, at peace you will be,

For living forever is not what it seems,

A rest you deserve and a rest that you need.

When Venti set his lyre back on his hip, Xiao had stopped his thrashing altogether, and Aether was making sounds that sounded as if he may have cried a little. If Morax had thought he was not mortal before, he was sure now. It was a song that used to be sang when a god from Celestia had fallen, as the people believed that gods never truly died. Perhaps that was true, if only in that they were alive as long as they were believed in.

But it did not matter how many people believed in someone like Xiao. It would not help his erosion, his slow, painful corruption. The only thing that would stop that was the breaking or completion of his contract. Morax knew what he had to do, if only Xiao could resurface long enough for him to say the words.

His yellow eyes, so predatory in their hostility, blinked slowly at Venti now. He rasped quietly, "Lord Barbatos." That brought a smile to Venti's face, and he giggled and patted Xiao's cheek which had him scowling up at the other ex-Archon. Venti turned with a grin that was all Barbatos, speaking softly,"You should hurry if you have things to say to him while he's lucid still."

He was correct, Morax had not time to debate the differences in attitude between Venti and Barbatos, he had yet words to say to his friend.

"I release you from your contract, Adeptus Alatus."

Though the neither of them were fond of that name, it was the binding one, and therefore seconds after it left Morax' lips, Xiao's eyes widened before he slumped over.