27: Am I Running Out of Chapter Titles?

They'd been back to Liyue multiple times to both see Zhongli and to ask him if Venti had his timelines correct in his writing. He'd seen as his Lord and his boyfriend grew closer, the clear sorrow in his Lord's eyes when the other wasn't watching him. It made him conflicted in moments like these, the calm moments, when it seemed as if nothing could happen to ruin the bliss he felt.

Kazuha was sat next to him in the shade of the trees Aether had planted before he moved in, moving a leaf between his fingers whilst Venti shouted over the shooting match he and Aether were having. Though Xiao had only ever seen the blonde use a sword in combat, he was beating out the ex-Archon easily, and grinning madly as Venti faked anger. He leaned his head back, catching the Samurai's attention.

"The wind speaks of you. Like how it spoke of him the first time it called to me." He motioned at Venti then, implying that he was very well aware of the Archon's identity. He moved his sword from where it rested on his lap to the grass, leaning forward to speak conspiratorially to Xiao.

"It tells me of many things, things perhaps you should tell your friends. Before it's too late." Xiao watched as, unbothered, Kazuha turned to look pointedly at Aether. Fine, he would play the game.

"What sort of things." Regardless of which matter he was speaking, it did result in scaring Xiao, but if it was about Venti, then that was his secret to tell or not tell. Xiao had no say in if Aether found out or not. Though perhaps telling him would be easier than convincing him that Xiao would like to visit the Akedemiya in Sumeru. But, still.

Kazuha seemed to feel his worry, laughing gently in that way Xiao had gotten used to over the course of Aether's illness.

"Worry not, I have no intention of informing the traveler of your secrets." Xiao breathed a sigh of relief then, turning to watch the two as they shot once more, arrows arcing high in the sky, and landing in the targets on the other side of the clearing. Venti cheered, jumping high into the air, hair fluttering loosely around his face. Sometimes he would tease Xiao, saying that when his hair was loose, they were nearly matching. It was odd, but a nice statement.

He was gorgeous, the late-day sun casting a glow over his form, the loose Liyuen style of dress he had taken to wearing around the house flowing around him. Xiao found himself lost in his beauty more and more these days, sure he'd always found him beautiful, but back then, it was an unattainable sort of beauty. Now he was even prettier, as he turned to beam at Xiao, his wide smile and almost glowing eyes the only thing he could see.

He got a gentle nudge from Kazuha at his long look, an encouraging smile having him rising to his feet in the next moment. He took long strides over to Venti's side, pulling him closer quickly to press a kiss to his chin. While Venti giggled, Xiao stole the bow, ducking under him with a wry grin as he fumbled to realize what happened. By the time he discovered the missing bow in Xiao's hands, he was already shooting, barely trained at bow hunting centuries ago.

His hands were steady, though not as steady as when he held his usual weapon, the arrow seeming to grow in weight the longer he held it there. When he finally released the string, it flew off to the right, missing the target by a couple inches at least. He turned to face his friends, expecting Venti directly behind him, instead coming face to face with long blonde hair. He raised his hands a bit, signing slowly enough for him to understand.

"I'll show you." He raised the bow himself, shoulders square with his feet, weight shifted back a bit and arms relaxed. Xiao raised his own bow, copying his form exactly as well as he could. It was easier to pull back this time, and when the feather was level with his face, hand pressed to his face, Aether drew closer.

His hands were careful as he adjusted his grip slightly, moving up Xiao's wrist only slightly before stopping with a shake of his head. He stepped back, examining Xiao's form once more, before signing quickly once more.

"It's good, but try to spread your weight more." When Xiao didn't move, Aether tapped the back of one ankle with his foot, spreading his legs a bit more. Venti added from a lot closer behind him than he'd assumed, "Don't close an eye when aiming, it ruins your depth perception."

He released the string quickly, the twang nearly frightening him into jumping, which would have been absolutely pathetic. A General Yaksha, under the direct command of Morax, jumping from the simple release of string. That would have never stood up under the conditions of war they had lived under when he was younger. For a moment, it was as if his friends were standing over his shoulders, Menogias gently helping him pull it back even further whilst the others spoke words of encouragement.

He released the string once more, the path of the arrow mapped out in his head, ending in it hitting just left of center. With a wink from his boyfriend, the arrow landed solidly in the very center, the remnants of his power dissipating. Venti was quick to throw his arms around his neck, nearly bowling him over in his haste, hugging Aether to them as he cheered. He had been acting strangely up lately as well, as if any bits of sadness would ruin the hope he had remaining.

Xiao hugged him back, once again, the fear of being alone, no more Venti around at all tugging against his heart in a way he did not like at all.