3: A Lesson in Deceit

Xiao had fallen asleep under the tree, and he awoke to the man who played the lyre leaning over him with a smile on his face. He was soft looking, and the hair that hung over his shoulders swayed gently in the breeze. When he spoke, Xiao recognized his voice from somewhere. Somewhere in the back of his memories. He sounded easily excitable, and that was proven when he reached out an arm to help the Yaksha stand with a giggled, "Did you like my playing all that much?"

Xiao crossed his arms when he was finally back on his feet, scowling at what he knew wasn't a young boy at all but seemed to act like one, and spoke in an irritated tone, "Who are you?" The man tilted his head with that grin still playing over his features and leaned forward as if he was telling a secret. "I'm Venti the bard, from Mondstat, but that's not what you meant, is it?" His voice was inexplicably teasing, there was a twinkle in his eyes, and wind was still swirling gently at his feet when he spoke with a more genuine smile, "I'll stop messing with you now, after all you will be expected by Aether soon."

That seemed like knowledge that the strange giggly man in front of him would know out of nowhere, so Xiao simply took off back to where he told Aether he'd meet him. It was just past dusk, the sky beginning to get dark as Aether lit the lamps and shot arrows toward the Adepti statues. Xiao could feel the power in the area begin to well up as the 'Starsnatcher' appeared before them. He could tell that this man was clearly not an Adepti, that he was definitely a scam artist.

Aether spoke in his stead, threatening the man to try to get him to stop. But, 'Starsnatcher' was convinced that he was dreaming and said that therefore Aether couldn't harm him at all. In response to that, he had pulled his sword out of its sheath, a menacing look in his eyes as anemo swirled around the both of them. Xiao would have definitely been afraid if he was on the receiving end of that sword. He watched as Aether's hair whipped violently around his shoulders when he drew his hand back and punched the scammer in the face. Xiao knew that the blonde wouldn't go overboard and accidently kill the man, but the worry did cross his mind when he was sent sprawling from a kick to the chest.

By the time Aether had finished, he was begging for his life on his knees, and promised to renounce everything he had said and done in pretending to be an Adepti. Xiao was frankly impressed by his companions ferocity when beating the man, having only ever seen him fight while also fighting alongside him. However when the man apologized to the blonde 'Adepti,' he was in an instant denying it and bringing Xiao back into the encounter. The man was spewing words of praise for Xiao in the next second, making him uncomfortable in the moment. He spoke harshly, his arms crossed securely over his chest, as if to protect himself from the notion altogether.

"Adepti do not need nor want compensation, nor do we ask for praise. It is our duty, nothing more, nothing less." After the man had left, Aether told him about having seen Pervases at the Shrine, and Xiao was hit with a wall of nostalgia. His friend had stuck around to see Liyue one last time. Perhaps he was proud, perhaps he saw the mortals in a way Xiao couldn't any longer.

Aether took off towards the Wangshu Inn to find the faker Adepti and take his sigil of permission just in case his words in the night had been forgotten after waking. Xiao made his own way to the Inn, albeit slower than his blonde friend. Perhaps corruption of the mortals could be avoided. Perhaps if he told Aether, who still clearly wanted after his friendship, his concerns they could figure out a way to avoid the imminent death and destruction that followed 'the vigilant yaksha' in his loneliness.

He made his way into the inn and sat in the kitchens, and Aether found him a little afterward. He sat down, asking if Xiao would mind company while he ate, to which Xiao answered," I am accustomed to eating alone." When they got up to leave, he remembered what his Lord had told him, and that he had fully realized only hours before.

"But I wouldn't object to company. If you were planning on staying anyways that is."

His words brought Aether back to the table, and minutes later, they were both eating quietly, Xiao with his thoughts and grilled tiger fish, and Aether signing slowly to Paimon amidst huge spoonfuls of soup. Xiao would admit that the fish was not as bad as he remembered it being long ago when Pervases had talked him into trying it, although he much preferred sweet things. After he had finished, Aether insisted on at least one plate of almond tofu between them, causing Xiao to smile gently.

He supposed that being cordial to the traveler was not that difficult, as the man gave with such joy that it felt as if he was simply existing in harmony with him. It was good momentarily, but Xiao had to leave much too soon, as he felt more than heard his name being screamed. Alatus, more his title than his name after so many years being known as 'Xiao' by the other Adepti and his Lord.

He left in a blur of Karma, his hands already on his weapon as he summoned his mask to his face with a grimace. His debt to his Lord could never be repaid, not in his lifetime, he had no time for socialization until his contract was completed. And that wouldn't be until he was dead.