16: A New Chapter

Xiao had made his way shakily to his feet after the feeling had subsided, Aether immediately at his side, holding him carefully. Now that the adrenaline that had been fueling his body while he'd been holding them all up had faded, he had no strength and therefore no choice but to lean on the man currently supporting his weight. Truth be told, with the chill that enveloped his body in the absence of strength, he might have let Aether support him even if he could hold himself upright. After the moment they all had to catch their breaths, Aether ensuring he was genuinely alright, he left for a moment to speak with the others.

Xiao couldn't believe his Archon had saved him once more. Three times now it had been. Or perhaps only twice, given it had been Aether who'd saved his life once. His hands were still shaking, and he ran them up and down his arms as if to comfort himself. He supposed he had gained what he came for, but he'd hoped it would be a little more explosive than it had been. Like a dam of knowledge bursting, instead it seemed as if he was only realizing things he'd already long known. Nothing new, only old things that he hadn't yet had the ability to see properly.

Though he had already known these things in his subconscious, the revelation still felt as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. His hands and legs still shook, but his resolve was strengthen still. His family, his lord, the one he worshipped still though he deserved a life. Even after all he'd done, he still deserved a life. So when Aether came back, he decided to be honest with the man that brought so many feelings to life in his chest.

They walked for a while in silence, Xiao knowing that this particular brand of quiet was simply an overload on Aether's part. He was still thinking over what exactly he wanted to say, his eyebrows twitching as he fumbled with his fingers and watched his own feet move. He most likely did not want to come off in the wrong manner, but while Xiao was okay with understanding meanings, he did not want to pry into his friend's innermost thoughts. So they continued walking, making their way through the rocky landscape until they were before the shrine they had watched being repaired.

Pervases was the youngest of them, and though Xiao had always thought that he was the luckiest of them all, but what happened to him was unfair on so many levels. He was the best of them, and Xiao the worst. It shouldn't be him still alive while the rest had died, but that's how it happens he supposed. And he should at least try a bit harder than he had been at being a free person, for a bit at least.

Aether was in front of him now, a clearly troubled look on his face as he began his little speech. His fingers flew as the agitated message came across.

"Why would you do that?" His face screwed up when he paused for a moment as if to collect himself further, then continued. "Your life is not so useless that you can simply do that and expect m-us to accept it." Xiao caught his misstep, his words nearly saying that he would care if Xiao were to have not been saved. Then he continued again, saying more than Xiao expected him to.

"I wouldn't have forgiven you, you know. And Venti..." He stopped then, blinking furiously at his hands.

Xiao felt as if his heart was beating out of his chest, fluttering like a caged animal wishing to simply tell all. So he would tell most. And he did.

"The other Yaksha would have been happy here. They would have fit. Of all their conversations, the future was their favorite topic. They had plans, goals for themselves and for Liyue. But I," He stopped for a bit, simply breathing in the comfortable silence, "I didn't really think of those things. Mortal's were not to be messed with, at all, and their and my futures were already decided. But now."

"I suppose I should try to live a life that they would have wanted. Try a bit harder at happiness. Yeah?" Aether smiled gently at him, though he still looked a bit irritated.

"You may join me on my travels if you would like Xiao. Travel a bit outside of Liyue. If you would like it, I could make up a room in my teapot for you to stay sometimes." Aether's face was pink now, and his fiddling seemed to be less frustration and more nervousness.

Xiao nearly smiled. "Traveler, I would be pleased to join you." He didn't tell him that his pain was always lessened around him, or that when he wasn't looking Xiao couldn't help but think that he was the most beautiful person in the whole of Teyvet. That could wait. It could wait for a while.

Aether's smile was the sun, and Xiao felt as if he would melt. But first, before any expeditions anywhere, Xiao had one more thing to do.

"Before we leave, I need to say my goodbyes." Aether nodded, he understood to miss your family. They took a route around the hill, and Aether set up a portable stove for the dishes he would need. Though the shrine was only Pervases', he prayed over his whole family. For peace, for guidance. When they left the shrine, it was with the smell of incense and almonds sticking to them.

Perhaps this was not the path he was meant to take, but for now, it felt right. When they entered the teapot, and Venti had barreled his way into their arms, it felt right.

His hair was out of its usual braids, and longer even than Xiao's. He risked bringing a hand up to run through it, gently as to not seem too out of himself.

Aether showed him what all he could build him, and though Xiao had no use for sleep, he added a futon. It was a kindness, a luxury.

He was settled on the overly plushy couch with some stupid book on his lap, trying to get enough rest to heal himself of the wounds that still ached a bit when Venti wandered down from his room. He was barely awake, his eyes not even open when he cuddled into Xiao's side with a hum. He mumbled something that wouldn't have been legible if Xiao were mortal.

"Can't sleep, nightmares.....sing."

And Xiao began to hum quietly, allowing the immortal on his side to move even closer. Thinking he was alone, he let himself sing a bit louder, the smile slipping onto his lips directed at the Archon. Aether watched from the balcony, the song giving him a nostalgic feeling while he watched two of the most important people in his life fall asleep against each other.

"Goodnight Xiao, Venti."