11: From the Mouth of a Child

Xiao knew that he was definitely needed back in Liyue. There was no way the other adepti could handle his workload, and the exorcists weren't as experienced nor swift as he was in their ministrations. But both of his friends were clinging to him as they ate, and he couldn't delude himself into thinking that they would be ok on their own. Sure they were both strong, but they were also shaken and he was about as worried as someone non-mortal could be. Though he could hear the cries of the people, for once in his very long life he knew that someone else had the skills to take care of it.

Besides, no matter how it pained him to admit it, even to himself, he cared about them and didn't want to leave them yet. Venti was still pale no matter that the woman he was so afraid of was dead. He probably felt just as guilty for Aether getting hurt as Xiao did, and he understood. He knew it was neither of their faults, but still blamed himself for standing in place and watching. He watched as Venti giggled at something Aether had said, his floating companion still napping in the corner.

This could never happen again. Aether meant too much too this world, to so many other people for his life to go so easily. Xiao decided that he needed a walk, vanishing in a whirlwind of anemo. He was outside the teahouse and heard Venti's laughter once more. Perhaps he needed more time to think. More time in Liyue rethinking his decisions. He just had to make sure that he really wanted to be with them. To travel Teyvet rather than simply stay in Liyue and protect.

He was walking down the streets of Inazuma, musing over his past, his friends; so lost in his thoughts that he barely noticed a child walking towards him. Thankfully he sidestepped just as they almost collided, the burst of wind he used shocking the kid out of his thoughts. His face seemed to light up, and he brought large shards of rock out of his bag and presented them to Xiao. He ensured the Yaksha that these were top of the line and that the mysterious traveler could even vouch for their quality. Though Xiao had no desire whatsoever to buy this 'crystal marrow' as the boy called it, he did want to hear more of Aether's adventures in Inazuma.

So he let the boy guide him through the streets, trailing behind him like a puppy, listening to every word of praise he spoke about his friend. He was told about the boys family and how Aether checked on him every couple of days, supplying him with more crystals and even food if he needed it. He told Xiao of all the things Aether had solved around the islands, including solving different puzzles, helping a shrine maiden with ley line issues.

Xiao listened for about 3 hours as the kid gushed about Aether as if he was his favorite person in the whole world. Which based on his brief, very defensive explanation of his familial situation could have very well been true. If Xiao was being honest with himself, which he was trying to, perhaps he could sympathize with the child. Though he was neither the youngest nor the oldest of the Yakshas, his friends had taken to treating him as the youngest anyway. Perhaps he could relate to being left behind in such a manner.

After he agreed to buy a couple crystals from the child, whose name was Chouji, he walked down a hill and sat under a group of sakura trees to think for a bit.

Meeting Chouji made him think. About the other Yakshas, about how they were being honored in death. If they were being honored in death. Perhaps he ought to visit his family's graves, ask them for advice on his whole freedom situation. After all, they were always more inclined to imagining their lives as mortals, free of their in-human duties. But unlike him, they hadn't gotten that chance. They had died tragically, their dreams, their hopes for the future gone with them. And he, the only Yaksha without a plan for the future was left alive.

He reappeared back in the teahouse, his mask flickering before his face, before solidifying on his hip again. Venti jumped when he walked up behind him silently, and he gave Aether the crystals, shooting a glare at the floating one who gave him a suggestive look.

"I am going back to Liyue to deal with some things, if you have need for me, call out my name." He turned to Venti and spoke again, his tone softer, if only slightly.

"If even in dreams, your demons reappear, call for me." He wanted to be honest, to tell Venti that he didn't need a reason to call him. Xiao felt that he could be of help, and he disliked seeing the one who had helped give him a taste of freedom, who had helped him and who he cared for unhappy.

But he said no more, only turned and vanished back to Liyue. That boy had reminded him of his own family, and perhaps he was not yet ready to embrace his own freedom until he'd seen them once more. He made his way slowly to where he knew his Lord resided in his free time, getting fed up after a while and simply joining Morax on his balcony with a whoosh.

Thankfully his lord seemed to be expecting him, not so much as jumping when Xiao spoke to him. He explained his hope to see his family once more before he left Liyue, to speak to them, to their bodies in the ground. He wished to ask for their advice as he had not done years ago when he could have, when they were still alive.

Honestly, he needed them around him now more than ever. Though he was glad they did not die alone as he would, he still allowed himself to dwell on that he might actually die alone. And he allowed himself to miss their, in the past often irritating, company. Bosacious and Pervases were the last to go, Pervases even had contact with the traveler before his spirit finally left for good. Xiao could say that he wasn't missing the youngest Yaksha, but it would be a lie.

His Lord gave him a clue about the adeptus that was trapped in the chasm, implying that due to the nature of the ley line disorder under the earth, there could yet be something of the aforementioned adeptus remaining down there.

Xiao bowed his head, earning a small scoffing laugh from who he had been reminded over and over was now Zhongli.

"My L- Zhongli, is it really alright for me to leave Liyue unguarded? Unprotected as it were?"

His Lord had the dignity to muffle his laughter this time, his tone when he spoke soft and entirely at ease, "Yes." He sat on the edge of the railing, smile lighting his eyes in a way it hadn't since Xiao could remember.

"Look at them Alatus." He waved his arm across the skyline, his eyes brushing fondly over the progress the mortals had made in such a short time.

"They are ready for us to move on now. To continue to protect Liyue would be to hinder their progress in the future." At the rather downcast look that crossed Xiao's face, Zhongli reiterated quickly.

"If they are in need of help, then they will ask for it." Apparently Xiao still looked doubtful enough for his Lord to turn his head gently in his own direction.

"My dearest Yaksha, you have fought off the demons of the past for so long, you deserve to simply live for now." Though Zhongli had spoken those words before, they seemed to hold more meaning now. He had been out of Liyue, seen different danger than he was used to. His lord releasing him had already happened, but now he needed to allow himself to be released.

So he began the trek that would change most things he wished would be changed.