Part 29

Goodnight- Lennon Stella

<<< when i close my eyes, please don't say goodbye say goodnight. cause we know goodbye's the end >>> 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love is sitting on the counter, legs crossed, just trying to clean herself up. Fighting like that is a weird feeling for Love. It's mixed. On one hand, she feels fulfilled. She feels weightless and proud of herself for sticking up for Dream. On the other hand, maybe she really is like her dad. What kind of sick person enjoys hurting like that. Even if it is for a good reason.

The door opens and no words are exchanged as Dream and Love make eye contact in the mirror. "You didn't have to do that, Love," His tone is stern, Love can't quite make out what he is thinking.

"Maybe I did it for me." The look on his face displays clear confusion. Dream doesn't know what Love means in that sentence. "Sam fucked me over. It is the least I could do," Neither really know what to say, standing here with each other. Love and Dream are not friends. But clearly some part of her still loves him and that brings up so much mutual confusion.

"I'm gonna head home. I haven't packed at all yet," Her voice is quiet, just trying to exit this room. Dream doesn't know what that means either.

"Packed?" Love looks up at Dream, her face a little bloody and swollen.

"Nobody told you?" He shakes his head. Love doesn't know how to say this to him. Not that it really matters. But she just didn't think she would have to tell him that she's leaving.

That this is officially the end.

No more running into each other. No more late nights, no more accidents, nothing. As soon as her cheer season is over after nationals next week, Love is leaving Florida.

"I'm moving to LA after nationals," Dream knows what that means. That this is the end of them and nothing more. Love is saying goodbye for what he feels is the last time. The person he grew up with, spent over 15 years of his life where Love was his best friend. He messed it all up and now this is over. 

"Oh." Dream doesn't know how else to respond to that. It isn't processing in his brain. What is he doing to do without Love around? Even though they weren't talking, there was still comfort left in the fact that she was nearby. "Why?"

Love allows herself to sit back down. They both deserve closure. 

"Mostly my music. But also, Cora is selling the house and moving home to Nebraska. I guess Xavier's wife just had a daughter," There is so much going on under the surface for Love that has made it impossible for her to stay in Florida. Love has had no one to confide in with this stuff. She refuses to tell anyone new about her past, hating the look people give her. 

"Love I don't-" Dream can't imagine what she feels right now knowing her childhood abuser had a little girl and that Cora is somehow picking him and his family over Love. 

"It's okay." The walls are back up for Love as she pushes her way past Dream, out of the bathroom, and down the staircase. Wil doesn't see her leave out the front door. Admitting to anyone what Cora is doing has brought something up that Love hates. She is feeling her own shame, her own anger, her own sadness. 

"Love!" Someone shouts from behind. Hesitantly, she turns around. Dream jogs towards her with a hoodie on and a second in his hand. "It's cold out. And you have blood on your cardigan," The hoodie is held between them, almost a peace offering. 

"I love you," She buries her head in his chest, holding onto him tighter than she ever has before. Nobody is able to understand what Love is going through right now. Because she won't tell anyone. 

"I love you too," It's not the confession it seems like from the outside. Of course they love each other. They were best friends their whole lives, lovers for some. The two will never not feel some sort of pull or love for each other. "I'm gonna walk you home," The walk isn't too far but he doesn't want her walking alone. 

Secretly, Dream just wants a little more time with her. Before it's all over and he can't get it back. 

Holding hands, the two walk back to her home silently. They allow themselves that small amount of physical contact while wondering what comes after this. Love's entire life has revolved around him. There has never been a single person more important than him in her world. 

Dream thought he had time to get her back. To make amends, prove she can trust him. He just wanted time to fix what he broke because without her, Dream doesn't see a family or kids or anything he used to. 

"I would've married you." Love confesses quietly. "Even the last time. There was nothing I wouldn't do. I just... don't understand why you never loved me the same way." This is the thing she needs off of her chest before she leaves. The thing that has been a weight on her shoulders for years. "Why wasn't I enough for you to love me like that?" 

Dream holds her hand tighter than before. She is breaking his heart with those words right now, thinking that he didn't love her. He knows he fucked up when showing her his love. Dream got so used to her being there he forgot that she didn't have to be. 

"Love, I will never love someone the way I loved you. I wanted to marry you. I wanted to have kids with you and buy property and whatever else we wanted to do. I saw my future with you and I am so fucking sorry I didn't show you," Dream's voice trembles with his confession. There will never be another Love. He is so sure of the fact that he ruined his future because she will no longer be in it. 

"You deserve the world, Lovanna. I just wish I had given it to you." Tears pour down her face, blushed from the alcohol. Dream's hands cup her face, gently wiping her tears away. "I love you forever," He brings her hand to his heart, only making her cry more. Love wants to stay. Love can't fathom leaving him. 

"I love you forever," She repeats quietly. On the dimly lit porch, the two hold each other closely. This could be the last time it happens. She feels 8 years old again, hugging her best friend for their first day of school pictures. Or maybe she feels 13, hugging her best friend when her dad left. Love feels every part of them fading away in this moment and thinks that the harder she clings to him, the more they'll stay. 

They never seem to, though. 

Without speaking, Dream places a gentle kiss on her lips before leaving. "Goodnight, Love." 

"Goodnight, Clay." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodnight- Lennon Stella

<<< when i close my eyes, please don't say goodbye say goodnight. cause we know goodbye's the end >>>