Part 19

Older- 5 seconds of Summer

<<< i don't wanna get older without your head on my shoulder >>>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lovebug!" Laura shouts, rushing over to embrace the girl. Love and Laura have not gotten to connect like this in too long, not having to worry about the past or tension. The hug feels safe, like Laura always used to. 

When Love and Dream broke up, Love had no one. The guilt of leaving ate her alive and it made her cut everyone out of her life in a self destructive way. Laura is just happy to see her little one again. She practically raised her and it was painful not seeing Love anymore.

"Hi Love," Paul, not usually a hugger, brings her in for a tight hug. He feels the same way about Love that Laura does. Paul has always done his best to look out for the girl. Love remembers when he shed a tear the night of her prom, how beautiful she looked. Cora didn't even bother to show up for pictures or buy her a dress. 

Love and Dream aren't out as a couple. In all honesty, they don't know what they classify as. They're not dating but they are obviously more than just friends, confusing the both of them. They just tend to not mention it. Living in ignorance and bliss. 

"You're still vegetarian right?" Laura questions, escorting her family to the kitchen where food is being made. Love confirms this. "Okay perfect. I'm making spaghetti and I made sure to put aside some sauce for Love before the meat went in," Love is consistently surprised by Laura's kindness. Always going out of her way to make sure everyone's needs are met, no matter how big or small.

Laura pours all but Claire and Cameron some wine, celebrating the couples new 'friendship' that everyone knows is a coverup. Love and Dream could never fully go back to being friends. 

"Mom did I tell you what Lottie did today?" Claire gasps when remembering she wanted to tell her mom the latest drama with a girl who is absolutely horrible to her.  Love listens to Claire describe what this 'Lottie' girl did, starting with coming to school high and continuing to get high. 

"Wait," Love interrupts, having an epiphany, "Charlotte Bryant?" 

"Yeah?" Claire is confused by the question or how Love would even know this girl who was still in elementary school when Love graduated. 

"I'm her cheer coach." Love is fuming with multiple realizations. One, that one of her cheerleaders is actively using drugs on campus and two, that she is harassing the little girl she watched grow up in diapers. "Tell me more..." Claire begins her 30 minute rant. 

Coach Love- emergency meeting tomorrow ladies!!!

The thing people tend to forget about Love is that she would do absolutely anything for her family. Love and Dream begin to set the table while Laura begins plating the food. Everyone has a job in this house. Everyone has role to play, making the household function smoothly. 

"So Love, you're in school?" Paul initiates small talk that she doesn't mind at all. Neither of the parents know too much about her life at the moment. Love chews her food before talking, telling them all about the last few years. 

"Yeah! After Faith passed and I moved back home, I was accepted in Florida State by some miracle," The whole table goes quiet with her information. Love doesn't know why until Laura speaks up. 

"I'm sorry to hear about Faith," Love's eldest sister, her best friend, was the most important thing her life. She lived to go to her house over the summers. Love never had a stable or loving home. Her escapes were Dream's house or Faith's. 

"Oh it's ok. It was a long time ago," Nobody knows what to say. After a few seconds of mildly awkward silence throughout the dining room, Paul begins to talk more. He asks her about her major, her future goals, her mom, her cheer, just anything he can to get to know her once again. The intense pride for Love appears when he finds out that she cheers again. 

He was the one who carried her into the hospital after her incident. Paul experienced it all first hand. Her fear, her disappointment, her pain, her anger. Everything. He was there when she was told there was a slim chance she would ever cheer again during the middle of her Senior season. 

The dinner continues, the adults being a little wine drunk and having fun. The night somehow ends with Love and Paul dancing together, Dream and Laura doing the same. Paul was the only father she ever knew, even if at first he scared her. He is the man who showed her that not every man is bad. 

"Mind if I cut in?" Paul questions, tapping Dream's shoulder. The two men switch dance partners. Love and Dream's fingers lace into each other like they two puzzle pieces finding their perfect fit. 

Laura and Paul watch the two kids, Love's head resting on his chest. Their sons eyes are closed with nothing but pure happiness. They missed seeing the couple happy, especially with each other. Dream's parents never knew what really happened to cause the break up. Dream never said anything, moving on from her a bit too fast. 

It was as if he did everything in his power to act like she was never there in the first place. 

Love and Dream, now too drunk to drive, are asked to sleep over by his parents. The two accept their offer. 

"This is so weird," Love giggles quietly, curling up to Dream in his old twin sized bed. "I never thought we would be back in here." She had fantasized about this bedroom for years. She had missed the safety, the nostalgia, the comfort. Watching his blinds remain closed everyday in his absence while she lived across the street pained Love. 

"I am eternally grateful to get to be in this bedroom with you again, Love," A kiss is placed on her lips. At first it's gentle and sweet but the feeling gets the best of both of them. The heated make out session pauses once Love pulls away. 

"Sleep time!" With a giggle, Love makes Dream roll over so that she can hold him from behind. The two fall asleep listening to the sound of each others breathing in the same room they have millions of memories in. 

The bedroom she first confessed her love for him in. The bedroom she used to sneak into. The bedroom she cried in when her dad left. The bedroom Love dreamt about being in every night when things were bad. It's all a reality now and Love has never felt more joy. Maybe it's the wine, maybe it's his breathing. But she feels as if this feeling could never fade.

Love lays in his bed for the first time in years, holding him, feeling his chest rise and fall with each breath. As she lays there thinking, for the first time, Love is grateful for the path her life is on. She imagines her life with him once again just like she used to fantasize before the end. 

She realizes that this is it for her. This is her future, the love of her life. If it isn't, she doesn't know what it possibly could be. How it could feel any more right than this already does. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Older- 5 seconds of Summer

<<< i don't wanna get older without your head on my shoulder >>>